Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Changing CDs / DVDs locks computer!?!

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2004, 02:23 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing CDs / DVDs locks computer!?!

Okay this may take a while to explain but it is doing my head in at the moment

I have just built with the help of a friend a new PC.

P4 3.2 HT
1gb Ram
A: 1.4 FDD
C:200gb HDD
D:Smart media drive
E:Smart media drive
F: = LG DVD ROM
G: = Pioneer DVD-R
O/S XP SP2

Now the problem arises when I try to play music CD's, download software from CD's or play DVD's in the F: drive.

For instance...

1. I put a music CD or DVD in drive F: open the media player (or DVD player) and listen to a few tracks.
2. I stop the CD and eject leaving the media player open.
3. I place a new CD in F: and it starts to load the information.

This is where it all goes wrong.

4. At this point the computer just freezes and won't do anything. It doesn't matter how long I leave it or what I press on the keyboard it stays stuck.

Now the weird thing is that if I close the media player in between changing the CD, then reload the media player it's fine. It's exactly the same with the DVD player software.

The problems arise when you need to install a large game and it asks you to install disc 2. When you insert disc 2 it locks the computer. G: is fine and works but is slower and I can't create CD's quickly without the F: drive

The frustrating thing is that every now and again it works fine and you can change the CD as many times as you like.

Has anyone got any ideas? Or is that all meaningless?

Please help as I feel like throwing it out of the window at the moment
Old 14 September 2004, 02:51 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to check....

Is your DVD-R set as master with the DVD-ROM slaved? Is the DVD-R on the end connector of the IDE cable or the middle?

I had similar issues, inserting disk in DVD-RW drive caused system to reboot (OK, not quite the same). I had the DVD-RW as slave and on the middle connector on the IDE cable. After reading round, found recommendations to put it on the end of the cable and as master. I also upgraded the firmware on the DVD-RW and the combination of the above seems to have fixed it.

This combination affected both the CD-RW (originally on the end of the cable as master, now on middle connector as slave) and the DVD-RW (originally on the middle of the cable as slave, now on end of cable as master).

Was a bugger trying to find info on it though so I can understand your situation