Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Backing up XP ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2004, 04:39 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backing up XP ?

12 months ago I bought a new PC with XP pre-installed and it did NOT come with the Wondows CDs, just a manufacturer CD to reinstate the original config (thought that this was a bit of an iffy thing for the supplied to do but I think it's also a fairly common thing)
Question : if the HD failed or similar catastrophe occurred I'd rather not have to go through too much pain to restore the system back to the way it was as there's a fair bit of vital data on it (wife uses it for home business).

What's the best method of taking some form of backup covering everything currently installed ?
Have thought about sourcing a new HD and replicating the existing HD across to it : any thoughts on this or other methods ?
Old 13 September 2004, 05:33 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I use Drive Image 7 which I believe has now been replaced by Norton Ghost 9. Go look at Nortons website. Yes, you have to pay, but better to pay than have all that reinstalling headache.

It takes regular images of your pc, and is configurable from within windows unlike it's predecessor that used to only function in a dos environment.

I have mine set to image every other day onto a separate HD - that way, it it all goes ****-up today I will be back up and running in a jiffy
Old 13 September 2004, 05:40 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Restoring XP and backing up data are two different issues. Backing up data is simple: a CD-RW which you use on a regular basis. If it's for work then it should be properly planned and executed: which files, how often etc. I'd also be temped to follow your own suggestion and get another hard drive to keep backup copies on.

The disks you got for restoring XP are ones the M$ insists OEMs supply: they are coded to the BIOS serial number and cannot be installed anywhere else. I've never had to use them, but I assume they work just fine. But everything you've installed yourself will obviously have to be installed again. So make sure you've also got copies of any software, the serial numbers/activation codes etc.

What you might want to think about is RAID 1, where two drives run identical copies of each other: if ones dies all your stuff is safe on the other. Then you just install another drive which then copies the working drive. Most modern motherboards allow this, otherwise you'll need a RAID card. Note the drives must be as near identical as possible.

M
Old 13 September 2004, 05:54 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Although RAID 1 is almost like doubling your risk of loss. An external HD, such as Amacoms ez2 disk removes that in-box risk - it's easy, affordable and fast being a usb connection.

I run RAID 0 for speed (although these days its fairly negligable really) plus I have 2 other in-box hard drives for storage and backup and finally my external drive to hide amongst my pasta