Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Digital camera gone tits up.

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2004, 10:31 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital camera gone **** up.

Well I'm pissed off it's untrue, got a kodak dx6440, not that you will know what that is but anyway, it turns on, takes pictures and the computer recognises the camera through the USB and starts the software up and lables the camera as a removable disc drive, but the labled drive cannot be read, meaning it won't upload the pics

That means I will have to faff about send it to kodak, and I needed it for next week as well, how convenient.

Anyone know how long kodak take to fix these things or will they give me a new one?
Old 11 September 2004, 10:44 PM
dlynch
Scooby Regular

Cany you access the removable drive through Explorer ?
Old 11 September 2004, 10:51 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

well when it wasn't uploading through the software, I uninstalled it, then I installed the camera driver only and not the software and when I try to access it through explorer all I get is the .JPG logo and no picture that is on the drive. I have to press ctrl alt del because it fails to respond ..

Does this mean the cameras memory is corrupt in some way?
Old 12 September 2004, 10:28 AM
corvid
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know?
Old 12 September 2004, 12:44 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

When I try to upload a picture to the camera it comes up with the error:

"cannot read from the source file or disc"

Can someone advise me on what to do, I really don't want to send it back as I need it for next week, I've only had it for three months ..
Old 12 September 2004, 01:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Persoanlly, I would buy a external card reader for your PC. A USB 2 one is around £10 and will read any type of card. I bought an 8-in-1 reader from eBuyer.

That way you can check the pictures are OK on the card. You don't want to take the camera and find all the pictures are no good later on.

My Aunt's been through 3 Kodak cameras in 6 months. When I was visiting her in Sydney, it was playing up again - shutter cover started sticking and we couldn't read the memory card using the Kodak software.

I used my card reader and some of the last few pictures were corrupt. I gave her one of my spare SD cards to try and that seemed to solve the problem.

Either the camera's faulty or something's wrong with the card or some pictures on the card are corrupt and preventing it from working probably.

Stefan
Old 12 September 2004, 02:05 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
My Aunt's been through 3 Kodak cameras in 6 months. When I was visiting her in Sydney, it was playing up again - shutter cover started sticking and we couldn't read the memory card using the Kodak software.
Really? I only bought a kodak because of the spec for the price, 3 cameras in 6 months is shocking, terrible quality control.

I want my money back.
Old 12 September 2004, 02:37 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Either the camera's faulty or something's wrong with the card or some pictures on the card are corrupt and preventing it from working probably.

Stefan
How about taking the card into Boots or Jessops - one othese shops that has the machines that do proper photo prints straight from the card - you will at least be able to see whether there is anything on the card............

Pete
Old 12 September 2004, 03:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, she's had endless trouble with her Kodak (a DX6340). I found the Kodak software really awkward and clumsy, which put me off the camera.

Her first camera's lens went and wouldn't extend out the camera body. Second camera was the trouble with writing to the card and the shutter.

She's now on the 3rd camera and if that stops, she said she's switching to a Canon.

Funnily, my friend has the same camera and not had one bit of trouble. He did have some issues with the software, but I helped him re-install on his laptop and off he went to France for 2 weeks and never had bother again.

It's a pity as I was impressed with the Kodak picture quality.

As Pete suggests, you can always take the card along and get them printed or copied onto CD for you. I certainly would seperate the card from the camera to identify what's faulty.

Stefan
Old 12 September 2004, 03:45 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

The picture card's fine, I'm pretty sure it's the camera, something to do with the memory reader, but I'm no camera expert.

Did she send her camera back to kodak? Did they fix it or give her a new one?

I'd rather have a new one, or money back and get a Sony or canon, at least they're reliable.

Cheers.
Old 12 September 2004, 05:25 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Hi m8,

No, she bought the card from Harvey Norman (big Electrical store) in Sydney and they've replaced the camera with another from their stock.

She's not shy about complaining (I wouldn't mess with her ) and wouldn't stand sending it away to Kodak for repair.

Stefan
Old 13 September 2004, 01:43 AM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, and maybe wont apply to you but are you running xp sp2?
Wasn't there some problem reported with the kodak software and sp2?
Old 13 September 2004, 12:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Don't know, but the problems I had were all on Win 98.

Stefan