Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Broadband 1Mb

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 08:31 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Broadband 1Mb

Just upgraded from BT's 500k broadband to 1Mb and boy is it fast, thought the old 500k was fast but this flies, no waiting at all.

Had a connection problem ,rang bt's helpline(kept on the line 15Mins before being sorted,local rate call though), and sure enough it was all working within a couple of mins.

Seems to be a good upgrade from 500k so far.

Lea
Old 11 September 2004, 05:52 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Give them time.............
Old 11 September 2004, 05:55 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just signed up for it, but it seems to me that ever since, my current connection is getting slower......
Presumably that's so I'll see a big difference when the 1Mb arrives!
Old 11 September 2004, 09:42 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

What's the cost of the 1Mb service?
Old 11 September 2004, 11:37 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

I have to be honest.....

I'm with BT..

Started on the 512k and recently (within my 12 month cottract) up graded to the 1mb.......

(i was looking at others, but they came up trumps)

i haven't got the yahoo one. Ithink it's the openworld or btinternet one....

it's about £27/month

It has been VERY reliable and FAST for me......NO complaints so far

I know there are supposed to be transfer limits of 30gb per month, but the guy told me they are not imposing them this year, and I only have to stick with this contract for 3 months.....

by which time prices will come down and i have the option to move....

me = happy!!!

phil
Old 12 September 2004, 01:29 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Not tried a 4 meg connection then?

That's fast!

Mike
Old 12 September 2004, 06:43 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RecordProduction.com
Not tried a 4 meg connection then?

That's fast!

Mike
is that in london mike? i know places japan have 6 meg connections in towns. At my work im on a janet connection which gives me 3000KByte\second downlaods off main sites like microsoft.com etc.
Old 12 September 2004, 06:47 PM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

I tried to upgrade my BT line, but, apparently, I live too far from the exchange!

Just 500k for me, then....
Old 12 September 2004, 09:45 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Yep, the 4 meg seems to be limited to places like London at the moment, I've seen a few people offering 8 meg with up to 1:1 contention and big upload speeds (that's the real issue for us web people) but you need deep pockets. 2 meg is pretty much everywhere now and is only a tad more than a fill up of Optimax a month

BTW, off topic slightly, has anyone noticed the bandwidth that the BBC have? 100mbps FE line. Wonder what that costs them

Mike
Old 12 September 2004, 09:47 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Have you tried checking with http://www.broadband1.bt.com/ - the length limits were increased or removed last week, but not all ISPs' line checkers know about the change yet.

I've just ordered an upgrade to 1Mbps today on the strength of that; fingers crossed
Old 13 September 2004, 10:56 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I placed an upgrade with BT Yahoo Broadband or whatever they call themselves now on the 6th Sept (The day the new telephone exchange distance limits were introduced) and my 512k connection will be upgraded to 1mbps on or before Thursday 16th Sept so the turnaround is approximately 10 days (Or at least it was when I ordered)

You can order the upgrade online which is how I did mine assuming you are a BT BB customer - http://www.btyahoo.com/1megregrade/pre

I used to pay £26.98 per month and this now increases to £29.99 for double the bandwidth. (Touch wood,have NEVER had a problem with my connection with BT so happy with them even though there are cheaper deals to be had)

I am looking at getting away from BT at the end of the three months due to their new monthly quotas starting Jan 05 and when I called them I questioned whether I could keep my existing email address whilst migrating my broadband connection to another supplier.They said it was possible and would cost £1.50 per month which in my opinion,is a small price to pay to keep my email address (Registered with lots of websites/forums etc etc and it would be a REAL pain in the *** to change the address at this stage and I'm sure there's plenty more people in the same boat as me!!!)

1mb here we come!!
Old 13 September 2004, 11:56 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

said it was possible and would cost £1.50 per month which in my opinion,is a small price to pay to keep my email address
For future reference, it might be worth registering your own domain with a host that provides email forwarding. That way your ISP-provided email address is never used (except by the forwarding service), so your email address is completely independent of which ISP you happen to be using at the time.

Another nice side effect is that normally you can have email addressed to <anything>@yourdomain.com sent to a single mailbox, and then you can have your mail client filter and sort incoming mail depending on the address that was used. I give out a different address every time I'm asked for it, which allows me to track 'leaks' of my details very effectively. For example, if you have to give your address out to company X, give it as 'Company-X@yourdomain.com'.

You then know that any spam you ever receive that's sent to that address came either from company X itself, or that company X leaked your address to a mailing list - and you can block that address without risking losing legitimate email.

It's good for tracking the source of viruses too; although viruses usually spoof the sender's address, they can't really spoof the destination address - and if the destination address is unique, it gives away the source of the infection.
Old 13 September 2004, 05:18 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Nick, goto www.123-reg.co.uk and buy your own domain name. You can map your chosen domain name to ANY ISP so basically your email addy never changes! Cost for a co.uk is about 6 quid per year! ysabelles.com cost me slightly more as it was a .com