Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NTL Taking the P, what action can we take?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 10:56 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry NTL Taking the P, what action can we take?

Never had a problem with NTL myself, however the other half is having major grief. I've been with them for 5 years so I know all the problems with customer service before anyone mentions it.

It al started a month ago when her internet connection went out. for a week it was very intermittent, sometimes on, sometimes off, and when it was on it seemed to be only on for a hour or so and the connection was very slow (downloaded from 4 different servers, average speed of 9kps)
She called out ntl who sent a guy out and did some reading on the line coming in. he said for some reason the signal is twice as strong as it should be and the modem can't handle it, but it's fluctuating (explains why sometimes works, sometimes doesn't).
Now the local juntion box is on a building site and as this was a saturday he couldn't enter without the foremans persmission so he said he was going to get someone to come out monday and look at it.
Monday came and went
Tuesday came and went.
Wednesday the missus phoned ntl again, they said they'll send someone out friday.
They also sent her via email information on virus and spyware (errr.. ok, 2 things, 1 the internet connction is flaky, and 2 the engineer established it was the signal coming in at fault - left hand not knowing right hand syndome)
Friday the bloke arrives and checks the PC, says everything seems ok, signal strengh is ok, and leaves. He said he'll get someone to check the junction box. Missus said she thought that's what he was there for, he said he's been told to come and check the connection in the house (left hand.... right hand....)
Guess what? Internet connection goes down 3 hours later
another week goes by with some more flaky internet access so missus rings ntl again. ******** on the phone says they've had no request for someone to visit said junction box, by either engineer.
she demanded someone come out and fix it.
Yesterday someone comes out, does exactly the same as engineer 2, checked signal strengh, seems ok, takes some notes then leaves. He mentioned that so far this week he's been visiting customers that have complained that an engineer said someone will be out and never arrived.
I know the missus is stressed as it is with this but now I'm getting very irate.
What action can we take, if any, at ntl for imcompetance and failure to provide a service we are paying for?
I've already told the missus to fone ntl and complain that not only has she had intermittant internet access for the last 4 weeks, but when it was up the speed was horrendous (750k line, I had 88bps download speed twice, other times were from 4kps to 40 kps) and she's spent nearly a month bill in phonecalls to them to try and rectify it.
Is there some governing body she can contact about them.
Old 10 September 2004, 11:27 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Put very briefly, go elsewhere. The phone number for customer services is freefone, they'll probably put the problems down to essential maintenance and they don't guarantee the service availability or the speeds it operates at.

Not being negative here, you are with a company that has mastered every excuse in the book. The only problem is you probably wont have much joy elsewhere (I stand to be corrected) as most of these huge organisations will be unable to provide a service which keeps all customers happy all the time.

The only thing that works is huge amounts of patience and politeness but be firm. Very hard I know but having worked in customer services all my working life (NOT NTL's I might add) losing your rag or threatening various action wont help. You instantly alienate whoever you are speaking to. BTW I'm not saying "don't complain, live with it, tough". Do complain - just keep your head - it probably wont fix the problem any quicker and you might get something like a month free or whatever (not unusual to have a standard "compensation" arrangement which keeps most people happy).

HTH - oh and you have my sympathy as I have had my fair share of issues with them in the past. But then I did also with BT.
Old 10 September 2004, 12:12 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Can you not start billing them for loss of service? Are they effectively breaking the contract as they are not handling/fixing the problem in a reasonable amount of time?

Tell them that you'll present them with a bill for loss of earnings or something as the line is needed for work purposes and charget them by the hour, might make them jump into action

Certainly sounds like you have reasonable grounds for a formal complaint / compensation.
Old 10 September 2004, 12:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Go and post on www.nthellworld.co.uk , there are some good peeps on there from NTL who will help.
Old 10 September 2004, 02:17 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had similar problems with the Engineers not knowing why they are there,
Unfortunately they are one of the best isp's around.

When its working it works great. Just threaten to cancel and they will move heaven and earth to help you
Old 10 September 2004, 02:59 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

The missus does need the line for her college work (ECDL - she's on the internet part at the moment, how ironic)
I've mentoined this to them and even threatened going elsewhere to no success.
I told the missus to write a long letter detailing everything that happened, and expensis occured on phonecalls to them chasing up what they were supposed to be doing, and send this letter to customer services and area manager.
Old 10 September 2004, 03:03 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
I've had similar problems with the Engineers not knowing why they are there,
Unfortunately they are one of the best isp's around.

When its working it works great. Just threaten to cancel and they will move heaven and earth to help you
Bob269 - I have to agree, even though I have had problems with the engineers, with the customer service line, with the customer service people, with the phone, the billing and the internet, I'm still not moved to go back to BT! As I'm now getting 1.5Mb service also for no more dosh, I think I can live with their occasional failings.
Old 10 September 2004, 08:14 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Anyone else on 1meg ? we should all now have 1.5meg connections as per NTLs press releases - it should have been working early september. I think 0.5meg customers are also now on 0.75meg

I had my set top box upgraded about 1 month ago and I ain't got any improvement in speed.
Old 11 September 2004, 12:58 AM
Beer Good
Scooby Regular

Most firms these days have **** customer service but measure the reported incidents, & they get taken seriously. Ask on the line for a complaint form to be sent to you that you can return. I guarantee that will get you a result.

If they don't have a form ask for a name you can write to. Be polite. The person on the end of the phone is powerless but is measured on performance just, it seems, like everyone else. Their boss is measured too. Get a name & a form & you will go up the queue very fast.
Old 11 September 2004, 04:33 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Contact Details

Hi,

Im scooby7's better half.. Just wanted to let you know that we have been having the same problems with NTL and they still haven't been sorted out.

We got nowhere with the customer service number so after some hard searching we managed to track down their head office.. and someone is now investigating our "issue".

NTL Group Ltd
Ntl House
Bartley Wood Business Park
Bartley Way
Hook
Hants
RG27 9UP

Telephone Number: 01256 751000 (someone answered after one ring, didnt spend hours holding like on the customer service number)

Manager name: Mr Simon Duffy

Hope this helps.