Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

NEED HELP URGENTLY - RE XP OPERATING SYSTEM - PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 08:18 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP URGENTLY - RE XP OPERATING SYSTEM - PLEASE

have posted here already today but now I really have problems

basically I am selling my lap and decided to re boot windows so that all my old files and un wanted letters (p0rn ) were wiped.

All seemed fine, but now I have a few problems

1) When I turn the computer on I get a choice of 2 Window XP installed on my computer.

2) I log in as Owner and all seems ok but the screen is about 5 inches square and on very low res settings, I can't change these at all, I have activated windows as well.

So 2 quesions (to start ) how do I delete the one copy of XP which appears when I turn the computer on? How do I get a proper screen size.

Please Help as I am totally stuck!!!

TIA

James
Old 03 September 2004, 08:36 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

install it again, but be sure to deleate the old partitions and install a fresh copy
Old 03 September 2004, 08:57 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

for number one: if you do the following

Right click on My Computer
Select Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Click the Settings button under the Startup and Recovery section
Click the Edit button

you will be presented with the boot.ini file and will have 2 entries under the [operating systems] title, these are the ones you see in the boot menu when you boot, so if you normally choose the top one to get into windows then delete the second entry in this file or visa versa.

this doesnt actually get rid of the installation but will at least get rid of the boot menu so the new user will be none the wiser unless he looks elsewhere!!

for number two i presume you you have tried changing the settings using the display control panel option (or right click on desktop then select properties). Does it not allow you select this option or are there no other resolution options within this dialog.

if its the latter than you need to reinstall the display drivers that came with yout laptop, or download them from the manufacturers website. Once installed you should be able to select a higher resolution.

Mark