Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC support/implementation costs

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2004, 06:54 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC support/implementation costs

Been doing some weekend work for a local company setting up two offices with all the kit (pcs, network, printers) and just wondering what a fair hourly rate to charge them would be?

Bearing in mind it's all been sat/sun work and involved migrating all their data and apps (just workstations no servers, only small biz), setup + config of their big *** printers (4k laser jobbies) and generally tidying everything up (they are not computer literate lol).
Old 28 August 2004, 08:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Whatever you can get away with, I generally charge £60 an hour for that kind of work on a weekend. Some people would faint if you quoted them that while others would wonder why you're so cheap

If you've already done the work though, it could be interesting seeing how this turns out...
Old 28 August 2004, 09:03 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
If you've already done the work though, it could be interesting seeing how this turns out...
Halfway through it, and won't be a problem as it is my parents business lol.

I do basically the same job in the week for a large company (well my job incorporates all that plus much more) and do it for them as a favour, don't want them getting ripped off by cowboys who charge £60 an hour

Done it for them for years but never really charged them, the stepdad always used the "well we will charge you for room and board" thing whilst I lived at home/at uni, this is the first big thing I have done for them since leving a few years ago so can charge them a fair whack. (They are well stingy on the IT side of things, if I had my way this would all have been done ages ago).

Well I know how much they make in profit so know how high I can go

I think at work if my boss ever charges another dept or one of our partner companies for an analysts time it weighs in at around 50 quid an hour, but we rarely do charge them "extra" as it was as the cost is usually covered by the extortionate amount we charge for 'infrastrucutre' costs :P
Old 28 August 2004, 11:46 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The difference is, I pay tax, professional liability insurance, advertising, marketing etc. etc. out of that £60, so if you charge £5 an hour you're probably still quids in
Old 29 August 2004, 12:10 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know, thought about goign self employed but need to round up a few more clients.
Old 29 August 2004, 12:18 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

£50 per hour minimum chap
Old 30 August 2004, 11:03 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

use your judgement, and as they say, see what you can get away with......

i've got some clients who pay me £35.00 per hour and some £900 per day!!!!

they are all as important as each other, as a few £35.00 per hour clients, pay my bills for me, and the rest is a bonus, but not guaranteed!!!

dont be greedy, work out what you meed and go from there. all things come to those that wait!!

good luck...

ps: i only work about 3 days a week, as thats all i need to do, and spend the rest of the time enjoying my 3 yr old son growing up... (thats whats important to me right now)
Old 30 August 2004, 11:22 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

just set up , exchange, active direcory, sus, vpn, 5 pc's one laptop ( all pc world crap ) backup soloution and just about every other peice of microsost software and insurance stuff

grand charge = £0 ,well I got £30 petrol as she knows how much I moan about the scoobs drink problem

its my mates mums new business ,think sometimes in life you just got to help people when they are strugeling - just wish some one would help me now and again

not to mention Pc world were going to come in and set up her new domain using xp home mmmmmm to553rs

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 30 August 2004 at 11:24 PM.