Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet explorer and virus

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 12:50 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet explorer and virus

I had a virus on my pc,banker.b that I have no managed to get rid of.While it was on there I noticed that sometimes Internet explorer would hang when you click on a link and some links would not even open.sometimes it would not find a page I was looking for and after a while instead of the usual error message it would open up adverts with a bar across the top saying page could not be found and the name of the redirect on it.I wrote it down but forgot to bring it to work but checked google and this redirect does not come up as a virus.
I have run spybot and adaware and norton scan and nothing is coming up but I am still getting these problems despite the banker.b virus being deleted.
Any ideas??
Old 16 August 2004, 05:57 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redirectors are common (I once got ISearch). You need to make a note of the home page it's sending you to then Google on that name and "removal tools" or similar. Odds are there's a tool or instructions somewhere to remove it.

M
Old 17 August 2004, 11:48 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CoolWebSearch (CWS) is another persistent little sod of a redirector. As meridian suggests, google the url which you are redirected to.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:19 PM
ChrisB

Some of the really evil re-directors will attempt to block you from the known download sites of some of the removal tools, so you might need access to another PC to download from.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:57 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

it was the startnow navigator,still not sure it is a virus or redirector.It has installed itself like a proper programme and it even had an unistall button and appeared in the XP add/remove programmes so it has gone and it appears to be running ok..