Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Doom 3 - do the levels and AI get any better?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2004, 01:10 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Doom 3 - do the levels and AI get any better?

Hi

Installed and booted up Doom 3 last night and got to say that I kinda agree with a previous post on it.

So far only played for about an hour, but the level design is appalling and the AI isn't much better than original Doom

So ....for those who have ventured further into the game, do the levels get any better? Any outside, sprawling landscapes or even just something different to the endless dark corridors? Doom, Halflife, Quake, Duke Nukem 3d, Jedi etc etc are miles ahead in terms of design and playability to the Doom 3 early levels - very disappointed on that front.

Also, the AI....it stinks, endless zombies running right into your gun I'm hoping once I get past the zombiefied staff and soldiers things will get better? Half Life was released years back and is still way ahead on AI

So far - ace graphics (on a P4/3.4 Nvidia fx5700) sound and action, let down by poor AI and rubbish first levels.

Neil
Old 14 August 2004, 01:52 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Same old, same old Neil! Biggest dissapointment since Unreal 2!
Old 14 August 2004, 02:24 PM
BishopDevious
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing on my intercooler saying 'owch'. Paint me pink and spank my ar$e, GIVE ME CURRY AND MILK

seen it on my mates PC. Just another 3D shooter with fancy graphics.

Hes already lost interest in it. I am not even going to bother.
Old 14 August 2004, 02:29 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Bought Doom3 yesterday and started playing it last night. Pretty scary with all the lights turned off!

Not got bored yet, but then i don't have any other recent 1st person shooters other than Wolfenstein.
Old 14 August 2004, 02:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

It's okay. It depends what you want from a game. Doom 3 is a bit too repetative, running around in corridors shooting things.

Personally I really liked Postal 2: One of the better shooting games I've come across recently.

Steve.
Old 14 August 2004, 02:43 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I found it very repetitive

I don’t like the fact that they need to try and scare you buy opening up 3'x3' cupboards in the wall with just one guy in that jumps you. I mean c'mon, why was that cupboard there in the first place, with nothing in, just for a guy to hide in if the base was taken over? It just seems they're trying too hard at the scare factor and not putting thought into the levels as a whole

Also, what planet were they on when they didnt put alt's on the weapons? Even a right click to smash the butt of the shotty in the imps face when you run outta ammo would have been ample, but I think their official comment on this was "to allow for mod developers to extend the game"...

Cmon Valve show em what its all about, HL2 will own D3

Jules

PS. On topic, no the AI stays the same, they just throw more of it at ya
Old 14 August 2004, 03:07 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Not surprised they're dropping Doom & Quake, and doing a completely new genre for their next game.

I was going to say people have outgrown the whole doom thing, but then again I was a kid when I first played it and loved it. Perhaps today's kids love doom3 as much as we loved the originals.

Looking forward to Half-Life II

Looking forward to what other developers can do with the Doom III engine when they licence it.
Old 14 August 2004, 11:14 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

With the lights off, and the sound up, it gets your pulse going, but then I work in IT so lets face it, so would walking up a flight of stairs.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:20 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

for a better fps maybe you should try FAR CRY huge levels excellent ai and the graphics are decent too. i thought doom was a bit cack
Old 17 August 2004, 12:31 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Gotta say that judging by peoples reaction on here, I'm not even going to bother getting it.....
Old 17 August 2004, 03:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Well I'm enjoying it. Will keep me going until HL2 appears
Old 18 August 2004, 12:55 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

I'm now about 4 hrs further into it since my first post, and whilst enjoying the game, still disappointed with the level design and lack of of any real AI.

Got to say some of the graphical effects are quite awesome - such as the shockwave when a grenade detonates!

As far as scary goes - I also booted up Aliens Vs Pred 2 - and in the Marine missions, this gets the heart going a lot more than D3 IMHO.

But, roll on HL2!

Neil
Old 18 August 2004, 12:56 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

how far you are you into it?

Si
Old 18 August 2004, 01:30 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

am in hell atm!
Old 18 August 2004, 02:17 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

lol ive just got to the recycling plant, nearly out of there too.
Old 18 August 2004, 05:08 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeilT
As far as scary goes - I also booted up Aliens Vs Pred 2 - and in the Marine missions, this gets the heart going a lot more than D3 IMHO.
With you on that. But I think the problem with Doom3 is that people were simply expecting too much. The game is exactly what's on the box: Doom with wings. It plays much the same, it has updated versions of the same monsters, similar weapons, and even levels that are similar. Trouble is, as a shooter only it still doesn't cut it. As you say, AvP2 is better when you are Marine, and Painkiller is more of a hoot. The lack of a light on the weapons is a stupidity (the duct tape mod helps) and the repeated "shocks" just get tiresome.

What I liked about the original was that even though it was almost always light, it still worked. I'm going to have to see if PC Pants is still selling the full Doom pack, then get JDoom.....

M