Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Admin Password on XP Pro

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 09:00 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Admin Password on XP Pro

How is the admin password that is set up during install of XP Pro (the one that is needed to access recovery console etc.) stored in the registry? Is it in a different place from the one used to access the administrator account in the GUI?

Reason I ask: Couldn't access recovery console ("invalid password") but can log on to administrator account in safe mode using the same password. Ran a util from emergency boot CD to blank the admin password (can now access recovery console) and when I checked the admin password in Windows was also blank. If I reset it here then attempt to access the recovery console again I get the invalid password message again. Cannot reset it with the util (gets an error, unable to change as it is blank! - have tried setting it in Windows then setting it the same with util which says has been done but still get invalid password message)

Any clues?
Old 13 August 2004, 09:11 AM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

Any help?

KB308402: 'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to Recovery Console in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402
Old 13 August 2004, 09:44 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark