Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

svchost.exe has generated to55ing errors......

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 12:26 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry svchost.exe has generated to55ing errors......

I've been getting this sodding error on my W2k machine for the past 2 months, gave up trying to find a solution and re-formatted the PC with a fresh 2k installation, took me 3 hours to backup the data (slow *** LPT connection to JAZZ drive ) and an hour to get the installation complete, fired up IE, browsed the net for 5 mins and bingo..... the same ******* cnuting error popped back up :******* furious smilie: ..... what a total waste of my entire evening!

WTF is going on? this error seems to stop new IE windows from opening new links (right click - open link in new window kinda thing, also java popups, like the way autotrader works etc.) and generaly ***** up the machine, cant copy/paste etc

Im at my wits end with this sodding thing and have just been seriously considering throwing the humming ****** outta the window.

PLEASE HELP!?!?!

P

Oh and to top it all off, I just spent an hour downloading MSN mesenger on a 56k connection (8MB+) only to be told the installation had failed and that I need to download it from the messenger website FFS!!!!! oh and the messenger website only appears to supply the XP version..... you have no idea how much I would love to smack someone from MS right now
Old 03 August 2004, 09:38 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shot in the dark but after 5 mins surfing I reckon you have managed to get yourself infected with CWS (cool web search) Trojan, it masquerades a local webserver as svchost.exe

I'll drop you a copy off on my way to the gym later (thats assuming you ever ansewr your bl00dy phone!
Old 03 August 2004, 10:51 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you might have the MS Blaster worm or another worm that exploits the DCOM vulnerability especially as you can't copy and paste. Download the dcom patch from the MS website (Or if you can't you may need to download it on another machine and chuck it on a floppy disk - It's only 898kb)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Good luck and you should find that cures your problem (You should also apply SP4 to the machine if you haven't done so already together with a check on Windows update site for critical updates to stop similar things happening again!!)

Nick
Old 03 August 2004, 11:12 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

SP4 on a 56K modem? <cackle>
Old 03 August 2004, 01:19 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

yeah I agree.. see this for more details

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...chia.worm.html

Check that you have a services called RPCtftpd and RPCPatch. If so, you;ve got the worm.
Old 03 August 2004, 01:36 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, just checked and svchost is running at 80/80/100% of the cpu, killing the PC dead
Old 03 August 2004, 01:49 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

RPC Patches will prevent this from happening but you still need to clean the virus.

One of the best and more to the point free, clean-up tools is McAfee's Stinger.

Single EXE file, easy to use and has the latest virus patterns.

http://download.nai.com/products/mca...rt/stinger.exe