Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a 'National Car insurance Scheme'?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 09:48 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Sorry if this has already been suggested but I can't find it.

All the recent press coverage about 20% of motorists being uninsured against third party risks got me thinking.

In the same vein as the National Health service, would it be possible to have a National Car Insurance Scheme that pays out if someone else is at fault or if you are, to both parties involved.

Although it would probably do a lot of people out of their current jobs It could save alot of other problems and even create new jobs.

The tax on fuel is admittedly already over the top. However look at it this way.

The revenue generated daily by adding a few pence onto the price of a litre of fuel would probably be enough to cover all the third party losses throughout the country per day.

Hence if you buy fuel you are insured. If not then your car doesn't go anywhere and you're no risk to anybody. The current system is obviously failing with a catch 22 situation. The price of car insurance is sky rocketing out of control. People can't afford car insurance so don't insure. They then have accidents and push the price of insurance still higher and higher for those who do pay.

My first thoughts on this were it would never work. But why ? It seems so simple why wouldn't it work ? The revenue generated would surely be enough to cover the outlay and if not put another penny on a litre. Also the people using the roads more would have the higher bills.

Say you used 120 litres of fuel per week for 52 weeks the cost would be as little as £124.80 for insurance for 2p on the price of a litre.

120 X 52 = 6240 / 2p = 124.80 per year
times that by the number of people using the roads and it is a hefty amount.

The only difference here is that everyone would be paying and we wouldn't have to subsidise the scum that bump our premiums up year after year.

Flame suit on.

Nathan..

P.S. Well I thought it was a good idea.

Old 11 June 2001, 10:34 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Talking

heh heh check out the "uninsured drivers bureau"

already in place mate - I got paid out when my car was written off by an uninsured driver.
Old 11 June 2001, 10:50 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

sort of related, but on tonights teletext (Beeb p124) there was a lay preacher who has just been done for driving <B>without insurance, without an MOT, and without either road tax or a valid number place</B> (the words changed during the night).

He said that God would protect him

Whatever your religeous beliefs, it seems like God did indeed protect him, because he only got a piffling GBP150 fine (plus GPB50 costs)

Tough on crime, tough on the, er, who cares!

mb
Old 11 June 2001, 11:11 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Some country (cannot remember which, might be New Zealand ?) charges a flat rate car tax.

This tax pays for the roads etc. and also covers you for 3rd party insurance. This way, everybody is covered by 3rd party insurance for the same fee.

If you want fully comp., you pay extra.

Cheers

Ian