Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Have I got a virus?? Win XP keeps shutting down.

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2004, 12:05 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Have I got a virus?? Win XP keeps shutting down.

My system keep switching itself off, running XP pro.

It's only when I am doing photography, normally working on large image files, big jobs, and the system shuts off. I just thought it was cause my XP install is knackered and needs a fresh install.

But I checked the events log, and it's the Remote Access Connection Manager is the culprit (see details below), and for some reason I got the notion, that worms affect this - any thoughts?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Rasman
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20035
Date: 30/07/2004
Time: 00:00:29
User: N/A
Computer: NICKERS
Description:
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 05 00 00 00 ....

Edit:

To mention, I am running AVG anti-virus, which I update daily, scan every couple days (ahem well most of the time). Also have Netgear router with firewall...

Last edited by mynickers; 30 July 2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 30 July 2004, 12:12 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the computer briefly blue-screning before it dies or is it just shutting down normally?

I have recently had a right nightmare with blue screens when it is doing processor intesive stuff. I opened up the can, took the heatsink apart and cleaned it thouroughly and so far (2 months) the system has been fine and stable.

just a theory of course!
Old 30 July 2004, 12:15 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Is the computer briefly blue-screning before it dies or is it just shutting down normally?

I have recently had a right nightmare with blue screens when it is doing processor intesive stuff. I opened up the can, took the heatsink apart and cleaned it thouroughly and so far (2 months) the system has been fine and stable.

just a theory of course!

Been getting a few blue screens lately too, I can never work out what the heck the refences are, and normally to lazy to write it all down, and search.. But I never have problems with it before shutting down in processes hungry jobs, it's normally when I am applying filters to very large image files in photoshop when it happens, or worse the Nikon digital photography editing software, if I try and export images from that - it just switches off!

I did wonder whether it was a heat thing given it is the summer, I have a Zalman flower (silent heat sink), it has speed adjuster, so turned that up to max, and put extra fan on front to blow air through system as well as one on rear to suck air out away from CPU.

Last edited by mynickers; 30 July 2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 30 July 2004, 08:13 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

The virus that does this (Blaster worm IIRC) puts up a Windows error first. This is likely to be either:

1) Too hot - either CPU or GPU. Try running with the case side off.

2) Inadequate PSU. What is it?

M
Old 30 July 2004, 12:02 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
The virus that does this (Blaster worm IIRC) puts up a Windows error first. This is likely to be either:

1) Too hot - either CPU or GPU. Try running with the case side off.

2) Inadequate PSU. What is it?

M
Hi Meridian..

I just checkd add/remove programs, blaster worm tool was installed as I thought..

PSU is 430 Enermax with variable speed fan... Could turn the speed up on the fan, but my silent PC is starting to sound like a freaking truck at the moment!
Old 30 July 2004, 12:28 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Clean out your zalaman (as suggested) they are very susecptable to overheating if there is a build up of dust
Old 30 July 2004, 02:03 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Clean out your zalaman (as suggested) they are very susecptable to overheating if there is a build up of dust
Just taken door off, it's a right mess in there, been avoiding opening it for ages, gonna have to buy a 'computer hoover hover now'
Old 30 July 2004, 02:33 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Use can of compressed air - oustide

Then you don't have to worry about dust etc.

Much more effective than a PC hover
Old 30 July 2004, 04:14 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Use can of compressed air - oustide

Then you don't have to worry about dust etc.

Much more effective than a PC hover
I was kidding about the hoover, but compressed air is a good idea. Halfords should sell that shouldnt' they? I can't face going into town in this weather, but there is a halfords up the road, just a short 'air-conditioned' drive away.
Old 30 July 2004, 04:22 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I didn't tell you to do this. . .

local garage - air hose

Cleaning out your PC should be an annual event - more regurlarly if you smoke of have hairy pets

I have air filters on the front of mine they need to be back blown every couple of months.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 30 July 2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 06:19 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Well I Halfords doesn't sell it that's for sure, I had to go into the small smoke but Maplins have it..

When I took the Zalman fan off it was actully matted with dust, took a good 15 minutes to get all the dust out of it in the garden, but it sparkles now.

Will report back how that affects stability...
Old 30 July 2004, 08:50 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Just tried exporting a large image file with Nikon digital photo editor into photoshop and it had a fit and clicked off
Old 30 July 2004, 09:10 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm - just did a quick Google, and it seems a number of worms effect RASman. Have a look at what is using resources when you are not doing anything. Everything should be down below 2% - if anything is at 10%+ then start worrying. Do a Google on the culprit and see what you can find.

But in the meantime, did the vacuuming include the GFX card? And another thing: shut down and remove and refit the RAM and all the cards. It may be a rain dance but it's worth a try.

M
Old 09 August 2004, 02:13 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Could it be the wrong memory.

I just looked on the website for my mobo:

http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A...eluxe&langs=11

Here are the specs for the memory:

Dual-Channel DDR 400
3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets
Max. 3 GB unbuffered PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR RAM Memory

At the moment I have: Twinmoss PC2700 DDR 512mb CL2.5 but I am wondering whether it is DDR400, if it was lower could that affect performance? As I mentioned I used ot have two sticks on dual channel same model, and I sold one to a friend for a system he was building, and I am sure he said he had problems with it. Wondering whether I should jsut replace it then do a fresh rebuild and fresh install of windows and see what happens.

Saw these deals, haven't looked much though:

Samsung 512 PC3200 DDR400 - £55.09

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52561

(doesn't say if it's non-ECC though).

Or:

GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit - £66.09

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeIL_Value.html

Can probably sell my memory on ebay as it does work, but there is definatley something a-foot on my system...
Old 09 August 2004, 07:42 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

If it was RAM I'd expect to see constant BSODs, usually starting "IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO". One more thing to try: go into BIOS and boost the CPU voltage one notch. Two won't hurt either, but don't go any higher. You could also try boosting the RAM voltage a notch: again, it won't do any harm.

M
Old 10 August 2004, 02:02 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I think I cracked it! It’s something I looked into before, but obviously not close enough.

I had already checked the temperature of the CPU, it was running fairly hot, but not stupidly, and I put it down to the weather, and the guys from quietpc.com assured me that 50-60 was ok for XP’s in their testing etc etc.

My system finally had a fatal error and wouldn’t’ start at all, got passed the post screen and clicked off. I coudlnt’ get it to start at all, so I reset bios memory, and got it to reboot to post screen, and get into Bios - monitor was showing very high temps, up in the eighties – not good!

I shut down the system, took the whole thing apart, reset the graphics card and ram, and tried to remove any dust, and clean the connetions on the components and then reset them.

I then removed the Zalman to find the thermal gel was a mess, it had gone a bit weird and almost hard around the edges, and it looked like there wasn’t adequate film between the chip and the sink. I took it out and removed the old gel, reset it with the HSF and fresh gel.

Quick restart, and the temps lowered straight away in bios to forties, I then formatted the hard-drive and did a fresh install of XP-Pro. I took the door off and used a deskfan to keep it ultra cool while I installed the OS just to be sure.

Put probe utility on and the temps are back at reasonable levels, 41C with desktop fan, 45C without and cover off, around 50C with the case on, which isn’t too bad given it’s very hot at the moment. I am keeping the monitor utility on, and I have set the alarms quite low, so now I can definitely tell if it is an overheating problem.

Going to download all the updates for windows before I install my software but I think it was just the heat sink with not enough gell and not enough fan speed to cool it under processing. I have heard people suggest replacing the standard Zalman fan, with a larger, higher speed silent fan to get better cooling results, as standard it’s a bit pants, I only have a XP2000 and it’s not overclocked.

Time will tell, but I feel the need for some new hardware coming on anyway I might go the P4 way with hyperthreading etc, think I’ll ditch the Zalmans though and just get a quiet case instead

Thanks for all your advice and help lads…Hopefully this will get a few more months out of the old wreck before I have to start spending money again...
Old 10 August 2004, 04:35 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Crozier
Are you running CPUIdle Pro ?
Nope! Should I?
Old 11 August 2004, 12:35 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

my PC Probe on my Asus board is reporting 40 deg c for my 2500 Athlon (barton)
i also have the zalman flower cooler
and the enermax ps - its on the lowest settings for fan speed
have a 9800 pro with zalman cooler on it too

all running in a case with 120mm fans front n back
controlling the fans with a zalman fan controller (mfc-1)

i went for the quiet PC thing - and im happy
did replace the fan on the flower cooler for a while for a quieter one
but went back - the zalman isnt that bad

i used some artic paste stuff - not taken cpu off to check, but its been on there for 10 months now.

Old 11 August 2004, 09:29 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Nice one to see this thread back and you are sorted out

Going back to my thermal post - I took my box apart a couple of months back, took the whole heat sink assembly apart and cleaned all the fluff out. Replaced the fan with a bigger one and so far not a single crash
Old 11 August 2004, 06:58 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Nice one to see this thread back and you are sorted out

Going back to my thermal post - I took my box apart a couple of months back, took the whole heat sink assembly apart and cleaned all the fluff out. Replaced the fan with a bigger one and so far not a single crash
Cheers..

Thanks to JC, also got a copy of CPUidle-pro, now running in high twenties in the case, and high thirties in CPU core and diode. Alot better than high eighties..

Seens to be running fine now, wish I could say no crashes, but explorer still hangs, need to dl and install firefox!

Thanks again everyone for trouble shooting ideas, PC's are a hooj pain, but it's a nice feeling when you sort them out!

Still I was in a shop yesterday that had a dual processor G5 with 23" widescreen monitor - happily swap, but haven't got a spare £5k hanging around at the moment, and if I did, it would be spent on a westfield
Old 11 August 2004, 10:45 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mynickers
Cheers..

Thanks to JC, also got a copy of CPUidle-pro, now running in high twenties in the case, and high thirties in CPU core and diode. Alot better than high eighties..

Seens to be running fine now, wish I could say no crashes, but explorer still hangs, need to dl and install firefox!

Thanks again everyone for trouble shooting ideas, PC's are a hooj pain, but it's a nice feeling when you sort them out!

Still I was in a shop yesterday that had a dual processor G5 with 23" widescreen monitor - happily swap, but haven't got a spare £5k hanging around at the moment, and if I did, it would be spent on a westfield
Just as a note.. the error you experienced is generaly caused by windows... I've had a similar problem before... This is documented in MS knowledge base, if it persits re-install service pack one... if your useing XP that is...

Dazza
Old 12 August 2004, 01:35 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I've installed SP1 now, and all the driver and XP updates (bar a few that I don't need). It seems to be apsolutley fine now, explorer is still resource consuming, and mildly unstable. But I am using firefox which is much better for me..

Do seem to use up alot of processing power with the work I do though, so might be time to upgrade the XP2000, mate was saying he is using 2800 at the moment, and thinks it performs as well as his other machine which runs XP3000, plus also shoudl you want to, overclock fairly stably with adequate cooling (although after recently problems, might just play it safe)
Old 12 August 2004, 10:59 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The xp2000 was probabily the hottest chip AMD produced.

My XP3000 batron runs about 4 deg cooler than my xp2000 with the same cooling
Old 12 August 2004, 02:00 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

The xp2000 was probabily the hottest chip AMD produced.

My XP3000 batron runs about 4 deg cooler than my xp2000 with the same cooling
Worth stretching up to a 3000 or 3200 instead of 2800 then?
Old 12 August 2004, 02:43 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

depends what you are using it for. . .

the barton XP3000's are a rebadged 3200 which failed AMD's tight tests @ 3200 speeds.

should be able to pick one up for about 80 quid
Old 14 August 2004, 04:55 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

depends what you are using it for. . .

the barton XP3000's are a rebadged 3200 which failed AMD's tight tests @ 3200 speeds.

should be able to pick one up for about 80 quid
Well I mainly do photography on it, but normally expect to have several browser windows open and outlook, and occationally illustrator and dreamwaver all on at same time. So fair amount of multi-tasking, and photography manipulation tends to send my CPU into a spazzy fit..

I think I'll get an XP3200, and a gig of Dual GeIL ram - will be pretty fast then, and should be ok with present A78NX-D until it dies..
Old 14 August 2004, 08:22 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

The expression you are looking for is "speed binning" and Intel do the same thing, as do RAM makers and graphics card chip, RAMDAC and RAM manufacturers.

M