Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Freedom2Surf- have i made a BIG mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 10:40 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom2Surf- have i made a BIG mistake?

I have had broadband through BT Internet for a couple of years now. Very impressed with the service, slightly miffed at the prices.

I recently signed up with Freedom2Surf as it was nearly £10 a month less, and I'm a northerner.

My decision to change was re-inforced when i called BT to cancel and they offered to reduce my line rental to £18 for three months- at which point I got on my soapbox as if they'd provide it at that price they wouldn't need the cancellation call centre in India.

Anyway..... BT said they'd be turning off my broadband in ten days- yesterday- and it went off today, so this is my first night on F2S.

I think they maybe ought to re-name it FFS- it has now dropped out FOUR times tonight despite constant use. BT only dropped out once in a couple of years!

So, anyone who's thinking of changing- be careful. I'll be ringing BT in the morning.
Old 22 July 2004, 10:51 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

consider these for faster than 512k line...
www.bulldogdsl.com
www.cpbb.co.uk

these for good customer service...
www.nildram.co.uk
www.eclipse.co.uk

good luck.
Old 22 July 2004, 11:08 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I can't get any faster than 512 at the moment- so everyone tells me. The service from BT was excellent and I'm slightly embarassed that i left them....
Old 23 July 2004, 12:24 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you can be one of those thousands they keep harping on about in their adverts, you know, the customers who go back
Old 23 July 2004, 08:40 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

RRH - difficult to say. F2S have been around for quite a while, I used to work with a guy whose wife worked for F2S (few years back) and they always had a good reputation. Have a chat with them - they are normally very helpful. In theory, even though you've changed broadband suppliers, you will still be using the same BT line and DSLAM at the exchange. Does seem a bit odd though.

Chris
Old 23 July 2004, 10:08 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Chris. I emailed their tech support last night in case there are any settings I can adjust. The frustrating bit, as I mentioned earlier, was that I had very little downtime with BT Internet- and to see the connection light on the router flashing yellow rather than solid green winds me up!

cheers,
simon
Old 23 July 2004, 11:16 AM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

i am with nildram at home, and f2s at work.

the f2s at work has been for 4 months, was turned on after 5 days, and hasn't fallen over once yet.

Nildram at home has fallen over a couple of times in the last year, but has been pretty good considering

Gareth
Old 23 July 2004, 11:31 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are various different ways DSL can go down, you'll be using the same exchange and DSLAM as Chris says but at the SP end things will have changed. It's possible you just saw some engineering works, give it a little while first. I have more power outages than session drops, that's even more frustrating