Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can I Just Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2004, 10:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I Just Do This?

My HD is partitioned into 3

2 off are about 35Gb and the final one is about 10Gb

I use C: all the time (in fact never been near D:

I want to reinstall XP to try and overcome problems I'm having - can I move everything across to D: from C: ......... and then move them back later if I find I want them?

OR, will the NEW WindowsXP not recognise the other stuff as it wasn't installed under that particular Windows??

Pete
Old 20 July 2004, 10:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you won't be able to copy it over as far as I know. Something about the contents of the Windows folder being used.

You can use, say Norton Ghost to do it.....

Or if you're just transferring over your files, favourites, email etc, then yes, it will work.

Hope this is of some use - I'm sure some of the "Biro Brigade" will be able to help even further

Dan
Old 20 July 2004, 10:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan - I was mainly thinking of my files and data, not any windows files.

BUT, would I be able to move over all the critical updates and stuff from MSN? or it takes hours to upgrade once again!

Could I use the Wizard that takes files and settings across to another PC - and just tell it to dump it onto the D: partition of the drive?

Pete
Old 21 July 2004, 07:58 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry Pete - passed out in front of the TV last night!
Not too sure about the XP updates...as it takes "hours", can I assume you're not on broadband?

I've never used the Wizard (don't trust em in general - just one of my quirks!!)
The main things to copy over are :-

Desktop appearence (icons etc)
Favourites
My Documents (Files etc)
Emails - if using Outlook, export the whole lot using to a .pst file
Contacts/address book - exported with the emails as per above

Hope this helps - but you can always try the wizard......

Dan
Old 21 July 2004, 01:16 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Assuming you have some backup facilities (e.g. CD-RW or DVD-RW) and if not why not, hard disks are not to be relied on. Personally I would get everything you want to keep off your machine to a backup.

Then wipe the hard disk completely and start again. Fresh installs are the best way to go for speed and reliability.

Sounds like you only need one partition (i.e. C) so rebuild the machine as such with one big NTFS partition for WinXP. You don't say if you are using XP Home or Pro, if it is the former then it may be worth considering an upgrade at this point. XP Home is truely aweful unless your a hacker XP Pro has way better security and quite a few extra features not in home.

If not on broadband you may be able to get a CD containing all the MS updates, think there is an official Windows magazine that comes with one on. Better this way anyhow, get the machine fully up to date + firewall and AV before connecting to the 'net else you'll have the dreaded Blaster worm within minutes.
Old 21 July 2004, 01:26 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

jst copy your whole profile across.
C:\Documents and Settings\your_login across to D:
Then reinstall XP in C:

not sure if there are complications with NTFS in D:, but should be okay. But to be on the safe side, alllow ALL users access to D: and your folders as your profile will mostly likely retain your permissions, ande might get lost during transfer. If you have FAT then no worries..
Old 21 July 2004, 07:02 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

You can copy ANYTHING to the other partition except files Windows is actually running. In fact, I deliberately keep all downloads,drivers, files, backups of game saves etc on another partition to the OS. I even run favourites and my e-mail folders from that partition. It means that if I lose the OS they are all still intact. And yes, I back up that drive to CD regularly as well. You can download MS updates to save rather than install, as well as the main SPs.

Borking Windows is an occupational hazard of overclocking and this arrangement makes re-installing loads quicker. Since I once had to do thirteen re-installs over three weeks on four machines, you can see why I do it.

M
Old 21 July 2004, 07:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Prana - Meridian ... thanks

Problem is, I have loads of profiles now - some I haven't had any hand in creating!!

I have the 'old' profiles (when it was asking me for passwords) - then I have the 'new' accounts ..... but others have appeared - user - local - ????

That why I want to try and start again - will the restore CD re-set my BIOS to how it was in the factory? .............. I haven't touched it, but it might explain why I can only see half my RAM Module?

Also, is the Memory Socket on the motherboard Bank 0, then the next socket Bank 1

OR

is the one socket Bank 0 and then the other side (of the DIMM) Bank 1??

because the BIOS is only seeing Bank 0

Pete
Old 21 July 2004, 09:36 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

pete, if you just want a file copy, ignoring the errors (open files etc) try xcopy source drive: destination drive: /s /c ie xcopy c:\*.* d:\backup /s /c

HiH

Stuey
Old 21 July 2004, 10:23 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

BIOS settings can only be changed (generally) by going into BIOS. Not completely true, but consider it so. I'll go back to the RAM question over there - accidentally deleted a long answer before posting (bl**dy VB3 bug to do with the back button) and couldn't be *rsed to repost.

M