Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2004, 09:09 PM
DieselDoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Broadband

Not got broadband yet but thinking of doing so, but looking at the bt webpage
it says "1Gigabyte per month data transfers (download and upload)" and it is ideal for light users, FOR £19.99/month.
Could someone explain this to me jargon free all this downloding uploading gigabyte stuff.
I wouldn`t say i`m a light user or not, but i have got two teenagers who spend a considerable amount of time chatting to mates on msn or downloading music. So is this the option for me.
Old 17 July 2004, 09:16 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're restricting how much you can download every month.

Instead, look at Demon £24.99 per month 500kb/s & no rubbish about downloading limits or how much time spent online.
http://www.demon.net/adsl/consumer.html
Old 17 July 2004, 09:20 PM
scoobybhoy
Scooby Regular

Not too sure about this but I think that means you can download and upload a total of 1GB per month. This means that if you download many mp3s or movies for example then this will use up your allocated amount pretty quickly.

However if you are just going to be using the BB for browsing the internet then you should be ok!

I am with BT Broadband and Im paying £26.99 for a 512k line and I can download and upload as much as I like .

Hope that helps a bit!!
Old 17 July 2004, 10:09 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

I'm with BT at the mo...........

Fine and no restrictions (on my tariff)

I'm considering going with bulldog..... 512k for £19.99/month and NO restrictions!!!!!!

NO upload/download limits and alsways on 512k....

I should mention that i fancy the 1mb as it is the same as i am curently paying with BT

have a look, they seem pretty good!!

phil
Old 17 July 2004, 10:14 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

General opinion is that BT are a terrible broadband supplier. Loads of better companies around, and I'm sure people will recommend some. Personally I'm with Zen, who are great. And because I get a xxx.xxx@zen.co.uk eddress....

As another exaple, if you were into Linux, then your would only be able to download one distro a month with that cap. It's also about three game demos these days.

M
Old 18 July 2004, 10:32 AM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobybhoy
Not too sure about this but I think that means you can download and upload a total of 1GB per month. This means that if you download many mp3s or movies for example then this will use up your allocated amount pretty quickly.

However if you are just going to be using the BB for browsing the internet then you should be ok!

I am with BT Broadband and Im paying £26.99 for a 512k line and I can download and upload as much as I like .

Hope that helps a bit!!
Think you will find BT have lowered the price down to £24.99 a month now but to offer this fantastic deal are imposing a 15gb limit
1`+-
Old 18 July 2004, 11:44 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Dont even think about restricting the amount of downloads you do if you have 2 teenagers - if they download a film then that could be your monthly limit gone in a day!!

BT is a poor service provider and is not that cheap at £24.99....... my Brother in law has it and it feels slower than my Pipex connection

Go for something like Pipex, no restrictions on 512k for £23.44 a month......... simple to install and never had any problems.......

and with Pipex your not tied into any 12 month contract..... if you say cancel after 2 months the only thing you would have to pay is for their Modem/line converters at £58......... cant really say fairer than that........ of course if you stay on for a year and cancel their is no fee...... but it does give more flexibility than being tied to pay say another £250 (with say BT) for the reamining 10 months!! (in the above example)

Trending Topics

Old 18 July 2004, 11:49 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

http://www.adslguide.org.uk

I'm with Eclipse myself (512/256 package) and have had nothing but good, fast service. A few people on here seem to use Pipex with no complaints either.

Basically, the point of broadband at home is:
- Much faster than dial-up
- Always-on, no connecting

Going with a provider who limits your connection in some way negates both of these benefits in my book.
Old 18 July 2004, 12:02 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Diesel,

I first registered with BT prior to the first rollout of Broadband lets say 3 yrs ago. It was good but it was a USB modem and ideally wanted a ethernet (CAT5) Connection so that it maes life alot easier if u want 2 set-up a network and share a connection via a router so to speak.

At the time I was paying £29.9 for 512K.

Now with NTL with ethernet cable modem for £34.99/month with a 1Mb connection. No limits and VERY reliable.

It really depends on what and how u want to utilise ur broadband. Personally BT are Cr@p and u will be better with alternative ISP like telewest, NTL etc etc
Old 18 July 2004, 12:33 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

check out www.bulldogdsl.com and www.cpbb.co.uk for their 1Mb line. but if you wanna stick to a £20/month and no restriction, you might as well go for AOL!
Old 18 July 2004, 04:51 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suba
but if you wanna stick to a £20/month and no restriction, you might as well go for AOL!
If you go for AOHell I will have to kill you.

M
Old 18 July 2004, 07:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobybhoy

Hope that helps a bit!!
we have just had a mail from BT telling us there changing the way its all set out or sumthing
they told us we were close to 15gb/month (possibly due to my 160k radio slots on afterhoursdjs.org)

anyway, due to there new lowerd price plans, it only worked out £1 extra to upgrade to a 1meg line