Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL Firewall Routers

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 10:54 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADSL Firewall Routers

I will soon be ordering a ADSL connection for my office and am looking at integrated ADSL modem/routers. There's only 4 PC's on the network at the mo' but I also have a network camera meaning 5 connections to the router. Most of the modem/routers I've looked at only have 4 ports, so I was wondering if there's a facility to connect another switch (I have an 8 port switch kicking about somewhere) to the router, much like you'd chain other hubs and switches. The modem/router I've been looking at is the Netgear DG384 but the documentation doesn't stipulate whether or not you can connect further switches to it.
Can anyone help, or recommend an all-in-one solution ?
Old 08 July 2004, 11:17 AM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I will soon be ordering a ADSL connection for my office and am looking at integrated ADSL modem/routers. There's only 4 PC's on the network at the mo' but I also have a network camera meaning 5 connections to the router. Most of the modem/routers I've looked at only have 4 ports, so I was wondering if there's a facility to connect another switch (I have an 8 port switch kicking about somewhere) to the router, much like you'd chain other hubs and switches. The modem/router I've been looking at is the Netgear DG384 but the documentation doesn't stipulate whether or not you can connect further switches to it.
Can anyone help, or recommend an all-in-one solution ?

I have a Netgear DG834M (wireless ADSL/Switch/Firewall/Modem) in the house. I have a network cable going upstairs to the spare room and a hub serving 4 machines to it.

Shouldn't be any problems.

Iain
Old 08 July 2004, 11:35 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

If you get a 4 port router you can plug in a switch into one of the 4 ports.

I'd get a switch instead of a hub mind.

Darren
Old 08 July 2004, 12:20 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Yeah I already have a switch I just needed to know if I could connect it to one of the ports on the router. Cheers for the replies !
Old 08 July 2004, 03:24 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

yes you can.

p/s as for firewall, look for an adsl router with SPI firewall.
Old 08 July 2004, 07:12 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

a straight through cable between the ports allows you to daisy chain the connections, but most switches allow you to set one port to an uplink anyway
Old 09 July 2004, 03:37 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Yes the Netgear DG834 has SPI firewall, and my switch has an uplink port on it (you just push a switch to activate it) Do I not need a straight through cable then if I set the end port to uplink, or will a normal crossover do the job ? I'm assuming setting the end port to uplink mode swaps them round without needing a straight through cable.