Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Access database webdev question

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2004, 12:09 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Access database webdev question

I have built a website that incorporates a simple 'news' section using ASP and an MS Access database. I now need to duplicate the site and upload it to 2 separate domains but I want all 3 sites to pull up data from just one database file sat on the original domain so I don't have to upload new articles three times, or have to maintain three versions of the database.

Is it possible to have a website pull up data from an Access database sat on a different web domain?
Old 03 July 2004, 01:04 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how your connecting to the database.. where the sites are hosted.. if they are hosted on the same box then you could do it by just having the dsn / recordset point to the same db in a folder accessible by all three sites..

wouldnt recomend that sort of thing though.. dunno about record locking between three sites with access.

David
Old 03 July 2004, 11:16 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
depends on how your connecting to the database.. where the sites are hosted
David
The site is for a client. They will just set up two new domains with their existing ISP. I don't know whether the three sites will physically be sat on the same server on not? If not does that mean it isn't possible to have all three sites querying the one db file?

The news tool is one I got off the web rather than writing myself. It uses the following type of connection string held in a single 'connection.asp' file:

-------------------
Set news = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

news.open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver(*.mdb)};dbq=E:\wwwroot\mysitename\db\news.m db"
-------------------

Also what do you mean by record locking? Sorry to be ignorant but I'm new to database issues
Old 03 July 2004, 01:16 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Record locking is when the database will lock a record that is being viewed / used by one person so another person cannot view/change the same record.

Happens in Access a lot, Access is crap for multi-user databases, as it creates loads of network traffic and has the record lock issue.

Mark
Old 04 July 2004, 12:57 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

If you're expecting even moderate traffic, then i'd reccomend you get your DB away from access!!!

access has a nasty habit off corrupting very frequently when under heavy load. as mentioned above it has serious locking issues aswell. speak to the ISP, they will very likely be able to give you 'access' to a real database like SQL server (for a fee i'm sure) which will be a lot more reliable and able to cope with heavy use.