Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OmniPage Pro 9 question – scanner source, Russian font

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2004, 04:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question OmniPage Pro 9 question – scanner source, Russian font

I want to scan a book in Russian font. I’ve got two problems.

1. OPP9 doesn’t seem to recognise Russian / Cyrillic, only the Latin-based EU languages. Is it available in the newer versions, and if so will I have to cough up for a new version, or is there a patch / option / upgrade? I didn’t pay for v9, I think it came bundled with the scanner. Looked on scansoft, they’re already up to version 14

2. My PC has PinnacleTV running through it. When I try to scan from Adobe Photoshop, it gives me the choice of the scanner, PinnacleTWAIN, etc etc. I try through OPP and it ONLY starts up the PinnacleTWAIN (expecting me to scan from the TV??). I can’t see any choice of how to change the source. Anyone know? (I’ve glanced at ScanSoft’s Knowledge base, they said if the list of scanners doesn’t appear then download the latest version of scan manager.)

Many thanks in advance.

Brendan
Old 16 June 2004, 05:21 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omnipage Pro v14 supported languages: http://www.scansoft.com/omnipage/datasheets/
Yes, it supports Russian apparantly.
So you don't just want to scan the book, you want to OCR it, right? You could run a search on Google, there are several Russian books published on the Internet. Which book is it?
Old 16 June 2004, 05:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Nick. It's not a Russian book, it's Mongolian, written by my late father-in-law (ain't on the Web), but the alphabets are very similar and I could use Find/Replace to change some characters. Wife is typing it out and it's driving me mad, I'm sure OCR would be quicker, and particularly if she wants to do the same with his other umpteen books...