Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

for all you AD gurus

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2004, 11:39 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking for all you AD gurus

we have three drifferent locations and I would like to set up 3 OU's for the computer accounts ( so we can make use of some group policies)

now this is fine as the Pc names relate to the locations and we can move them BUT.....

in the future when we add a new PC to the domain it will stick the computer account in computers and we will have to manually move it again. Is there a way of doing this so we don't have to move it i.e a rule that says if the computer acount is from this location put it into this OU

any help is welcome

Rich
Old 14 June 2004, 01:06 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

I haven't heard of any native tools to accomplish this, however it could be scripted. A ten second search on Google turns up http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine27.htm and http://www.rallenhome.com/books/adco...mputer.vbs.txt. Perhaps the second could be adapted, so that when the computer account is created, manually run the script from the machine in question to automatically pop it in the right place. If you need a hand in writing a script, let me know as it shouldn't be too difficult.

Alternatively, although perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but why don't you create the computer accounts in the desired OU first?
Old 14 June 2004, 04:10 PM
tooslow
Scooby Newbie

The easiest, well, the least administration approach to adding new PC's to different OU's would be to add the Identification segment to an unattended file when installing the OS.

Let me know if you need any help with the correct syntax.

Hope this helps.
Old 14 June 2004, 09:40 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, I thought as much, one of the guys in the office thought there was a rule section... I will let him carry on working on it while I finish sms

cheers