Notices

Classic Prodrive suspension - any gurus ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2004, 12:50 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Classic Prodrive suspension - any gurus ?

Hi folks, I'm hoping some suspension gurus can offer some advice here.....

I've had my UK MY98 saloon since new, and had it fitted with the Prodrive suspension package (Eibach/Bilstein) at about 1000 miles. The handling was superb, much less roll in corners, much more stable, but still comfortable when you're not going for it - I was very impressed indeed. Lowered the car about 25mm, which combined with a lip spoiler gave the car quite an aggressive stance which I really liked, although I did have to be very careful over speed bumps.

One of my dampers seized a couple of weeks ago, not bad for 100,000 miles ! Took it in for replacements, the garage managed to get hold of some nearly new STi 6 suspension (inverted struts) as I'm on a limited budget. While it was in, they stuck the STi 6 springs on as well for good measure (I'm a firm believer in matching springs and dampers), which has raised the car back to standard ride height.

Been driving the car over the weekend, and I have found it goes really well round corners when you're giving it beans, but quite bouncy when you're not, which is a little tiresome, but to be expected I suppose. It made me realise just how good the Prodrive suspension was. I'm not overly keen on the raised ride height, despite the obvious benefits regarding speed bumps, and actually being able to carry passengers and put things in the boot without grounding round corners !

The garage have said they are quite happy to put the Prodrive springs back on if I prefer.

So to sum up;

Handling while 'making good progress' = excellent
Comfort while 'pootling' = not that good, but guess I can live with it
Ride Height = excellent for day-to-day use
Ride Height appearance = disappointing (maybe I'm just a tart ?)

Can anyone tell me if the Prodrive springs would be a good match for the STi 6 dampers ?
Could the grounding round corners whilst carrying passengers etc. have been caused by the original dampers being knacked ?
Will I get my 'best of both worlds' handling back if I mix Prodrive springs with STi6 dampers ?
Will I still have grounding round corners if I mix Prodrive springs with STi6 dampers ?
I would like to add I don't want to bugger up my handling just to get a lower ride height ! I may be a tart, but I want to be a tart that corners well !!

Sorry for the length of this post, but I would really appreciate the views of anyone who knows about this sort of thing.

Many Thanks,

T
Old 01 March 2004, 01:21 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The STi 5/6 dampers are excellent units. A option could be to source some P1 springs. The P1 uses standard STi 5/6 dampers so would be well match. You could also get some of the ride height reduction back while making it far more complient than with the STi 6 springs.

Tony.
Old 01 March 2004, 02:13 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Just what I was thinking. I have heard that P1 springs are the same as those fitted with the Prodrive suspension package I had.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 01 March 2004, 02:19 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Didn't know that.... maybe Mike Wood could confirm if it's true.

Do you know the spring rates of the springs in your prodrive package? Im sure i have the P1 rates somewhere.

Tony.
Old 01 March 2004, 07:21 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony

I'm assuming you have the "original" Prodrive suspension kit, circa 1997, also known as the "Performance" PD kit. This is the kit I have on my car (MY98 Impreza). Anyway, I did some calculations when I first got the kit and came up with ~180 lb/in front and ~150 lb/in rear for the spring rates.

As far as the P1 springs and the Version 6 springs are concerned, these are the rates posted at http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/

P1 215 lb/in front 195 lb/in rear

V6 237 lb/in front 195 lb/in rear

Hope this helps your decision.

John
Old 01 March 2004, 10:04 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I believe Prodrive can rectify your dampers, you'll not find any other combination so much refined as the Prodrive (WR) suspension kit, even the Professional one I had in my old MY00 (harder from the standard Prodrive kit) was quite comfort and predictable on corners!
Just my opinion and if you compare the P1 suspension (Prodrive springs) with the V6 setup it's much better for European roads, I don't know why but Japanese suspensions are by far stiffers!
JIM
Old 01 March 2004, 10:20 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, thats really useful info, big difference in spring rates between the three types - looks like I stand corrected regarding my springs and the P1 springs.

John, you're right, I have the 'Prodrive Handling Pack'.

Thanks again

T