Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Driver / Network cards .. well, just help!

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 07:42 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP Driver / Network cards .. well, just help!

Hello

I have a Dell Latitude 600, which is not bad as laptops go. It came with Windows 2000 and everything was going good until I decided in a fit of annoyance about something upgrade to XP Professional.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I now am completely stuffed, and really need some help if anyone could be so kind:

There is an Intel Centrino wireless card (and ethernet card) in the computer, windows couldn't find the drivers. No problem. Downloaded them from the Internet (on a different computer), try to install them and now it says there is a device conflict. Every time I try to re-install the device, it adds a number at the end (i.e. Intel blah blah #4) and then comes up with the message

"The name is already in use as either a service or a service display name"

So it thinks it has the card already I guess, but I can't see it delete it, re-install it.

Help!

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 09 June 2004, 09:34 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Did you upgrade to XP or clean install?

I have managed to install XP on around 6000 PC's and found that the MS Upgrade process is a no go - things just happen differntly and drivers etc just won't work no matter how long you play with or swear at them. Doing a clean install on these problem machines cured my probsusing the same drivers i couldn't get working under the upgrade....

Did you download the drivers from Dell or the card vendor? some vendors sell one component exclusivly to Dell even though they provide drivers for the card the dell card is slightly different and only a dell provided driver will do.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Good Luck

MB
Old 09 June 2004, 10:16 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Same advice here, go to Dell to download drivers first. Only go to the maker if that fails.

Had a few servers that kept falling over using Intel NICs. Turned out the Intel NIC installed in the servers used a tweaked driver by Dell. The Intel driver worked fine, for about three days then it would bring the whole server down
Old 09 June 2004, 10:18 PM
scooby24
Scooby Regular

Also try booting in safe mode (F8 key on boot) you can usually see all devices installed (old & new)in device manager and are able to delete them
Old 10 June 2004, 10:35 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately nothing worked, so I am doing a "clean" install of XP as suggested.

Computers.

Steve.