Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

CCTV recording onto hard drive ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 06:46 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCTV recording onto hard drive ??

I've tried a search but found nothing helpful. I'm looking to set up a camera to record onto my hard drive of my P.C Not after anything to complex, don't really need remote access. Just something more useable then recording onto videos. Been a lot of crime where I am lately so wanna record me car when I'm sleeping.

Cheers.
Old 16 May 2004, 07:05 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Don't know if this is what you want but I ran this for a while, more for a laugh than anything else:

http://www.homewatcher.com/

I was running it with a normal webcam and could access the images etc. remotely which was great, could watch what was going on from work.

It is simple to use and configure and the good thing is that you can make it motion sensitive so you only need watch frames that actually have something happening in them. Be careful though, point it at a tree that blows about in the wind and you will record hours of junk.

I haven't used it in a while but when I was playing there was a free version of the software which worked just fine for my needs.
Old 16 May 2004, 07:10 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

I have this sort of thing in our spare PC at home and I would have to say it's the nuts for what we want - very easy to operate and configure, quad display, motion detection alarm imputs and single channel audio.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...130730669&rd=1

You can find them for about £20 or so if you do a 'buy it now' sort of thing.
The only problem I have is when you fire the software up it springs up a backdoor subseven alert in NIS but it's blocked so not a problem and you have remote access to it as well.

It does make a differance to what camera you have attached to it, the better quality camer you use, the better it records - I'm in the trade, so not a problem on that front!!
Old 17 May 2004, 01:15 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a regular CCTV system, one of the cameras feeds though a motion detector that sounds an alarm when an imaginary beam is broken.
Old 19 May 2004, 02:09 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!

trouble with the motion detector thing is car is parked on a road, right next to a high traffic path It's gonna be recording all the time anyway. May sometimes have to park across the road, so all I want is it to record, just in case 'out happens to it. All though saying that, obviously at 3 in the morning the path isn't high traffic, but you know what I mean !!
Old 19 May 2004, 08:09 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

With some of the software motion detecting systems it is possible to define the areas where the motion must occur before the system records. Easier said than done I know but it might work for you.