Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Comp' Keeps freezing..

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 08:56 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp' Keeps freezing..

As title, my computer keeps freezing.

* When i boot up, it gets to the desktop, and then everything freezes. i have to switch it off, and then reboot - It does this about 4 times, then it will be fine for about 4 times, then repeat procedure it freezes. Ive tried to live with it, but its now getting annoying.

Im running 98se, with 512mB ram, an athlon XP 2000 processor & 64mB graphics card.

** When it does run, and i use IE, and some other programs (eg DVD player) they freeze midway through, and come up with a 'Send Report' ... whilst the message says 'sorry for any inconvenience', i dont think it is because its happening to often .

Anybody any ideas what could be causing these problems ... particularly the first one.

Many thanks

Frank
Old 12 May 2004, 12:05 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Anybody got ideas ..??

thanks
Old 12 May 2004, 12:38 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

try upgrading your os to atleast 2000 98se is quite stable but you need to telll us more information what does the error message say ?
Old 12 May 2004, 12:58 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

The first questions are has anything been changed/added and has it been working OK before or is it a brand new PC ? Upgrade to W2000 is a good idea as its much more stable.

Cammy
Old 12 May 2004, 01:03 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Something similar happened to somebody I know. He installed adaware and spybot and the problem was sorted. Failing that, reinstalling Windows might help.
Old 12 May 2004, 02:19 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies...

The pc is around 12months old, built it up myself..

As for 98se, im happy with that as OS systems go, ive got media player 9 downloaded, and the online updates. Merely sticking with something im used too.

My primary usage is internet, play the occasional cd, a dvd once a month maybe, and a small amount of cd burning, nothin major.

I dont get any error messages when the system freezes, it gets through to the desktop, loads the icons, and then freeze. Everything locks - cant move mouse, keyboard freezes, and i think the hard drive light goes off....so its a matter then of press the power off and try again. Theres nothin more too it unfortunately.

*2, this message tends to come on more noticeable when using the internet, WMP9 or powerDVD. It looks like a generic windows message. It doesnt issue any codes, but states the the program will need to close, and would i like or not like to send a report.

I tried spybot, and that hasnt changed anything, and i tried a 'reg mechanic', which did list some errors ...but they might as well have been in japanese.

If i were to re-install SE, do i have to format it again, or can i go over what's there, without risk of losing stuff.

Frank
Old 12 May 2004, 04:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Likely to be bad or incompatible RAM, or maybe the Power Supply. Try moving the RAM dimms around, or using only one at a time if it persists if you have more than 1 dimm. What type of RAM? PSU wattage u using.

Update your HDD controller and gfx drivers from the net, if u havent already. Get the latest VIA 4in1 drivers from www.viaarena.com if its a VIA chipset on your mobo.

Failing that pull out everything except, RAM, gfx and HDD n see if it continues.

Has it always done this? If not then it may well be spy/malware/virus/trojan.

Yes you can reinstall SE without losing any settings.

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2004, 05:15 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

it could be ram, graphics card, os, cpu overheating, hundreds of things! cant help unless im there! but trying upgradind to xp it might stop crashing and when it does crash you usually get a report! but xp would be a better os then 98 or angry north would say go linux! but the only way to find the problem is if you change a piece of hardware one at a time to see if it crashes and elimination
Old 18 May 2004, 11:22 AM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

my similar issue was duff memory, try removing simms and tracking the problem
Old 18 May 2004, 11:55 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

see if you have a directory called Brilliant Digital Entertainment, if so bin it.
Also search registry using regedit and delete the keys in there (ONLY go into regedit if you know what you are doing !! - Delete the wrong thing and your pc is knakked)
Old 18 May 2004, 12:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Are you using any sort of network card?
Old 18 May 2004, 02:44 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

download and run this from a boot floppy, get it to autocycle thru' all tests.

http://www.memtest86.com/

I had similiar issues, it appears Athlons are very choosy about memory......

There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

Last edited by gregh; 18 May 2004 at 02:48 PM.