Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

need help with Digicam USB transfer

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 11:01 PM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry need help with Digicam USB transfer

I have just installed the software for my new camera-Fuji s3000, but when i connect the usb for the first time the pc tries to add new hardware but fails and displays the message:-
There was a problem installing this hardware
FUJIFILM USB DRIVEUNIT USB device
An error occured during installation of this device
One of the filter drivers installed for this device is invalid.

I have uninstalled/re-installed and tried a updated driver from the Fuji website to no avail.
The OS is WinXP Home
Any help or ideas will be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 11 May 2004, 08:52 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

have you got any functionality at all?

I ran into similar problems getting our Fuji and PC to talk to each other. Fortunately, the PC recognised the camera from start up and created a separate drive icon so that I could transfer/copy etc.

Trying deleteing all references to the software and then restart and plug the camera in, hopefully the machine will figure out what's going on.

Also, is the USB port active? And have you got the camera in USB mode (there should be a setting on the menu) On ours the display changes to 'DSN' or something when it's connected.
Old 11 May 2004, 09:53 AM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

Thanks MrdDBM
The camera seems to function ok as the pics will display on the tv. It is in the correct mode(DSC)and I have tried deleting the software and re-installing. I have tried two different USB ports with no luck, the manual states it should throw up the add new hardware box which it does but then it shows the fault message I described in my first post.
Anybody have any more ideas?
Old 11 May 2004, 10:23 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Have you got any other usb devices, and if so, do they work ok?
Old 11 May 2004, 10:27 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

I wonder if there's a fuji camera bbs or something, maybe there's an issue with your software version?

I can't remember what the name and version number of our software is, I can check it out this evening. Perhaps if there is a problem with software you could try a different version...

BTW, you would think that all camera software is specific to manufacturer, it's not, as my Fuji software will quite happily control/access our Sony camera and vice-versa.
Old 11 May 2004, 10:32 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Fuji + Windows drivers =

Get a usb smart card reader and take the photos off that way. Much more reliable and easier.

Or buy a Mac where you don't need any drivers, my S7000 syncs perfectly with the Mac.
Old 11 May 2004, 10:33 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrDBM
BTW, you would think that all camera software is specific to manufacturer, it's not, as my Fuji software will quite happily control/access our Sony camera and vice-versa.
Some carmera software is specific to the camera. Just depends on the camera you've got as to whether it will work with the generic drivers or whether it needs something different...

Trending Topics

Old 11 May 2004, 10:41 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Fuji + Windows drivers =
My old fuji camera (6900 zoom), worked fine with Windows XP with no drivers installed at all. Just plugged in the usb cable and the camera appeared as an extra drive in explorer etc.

Get a usb smart card reader and take the photos off that way. Much more reliable and easier.
Not sure about being more reliable / easier as I never had any problems with mine, but if you get a USB2 card reader (and you have usb2 ports), it will be a lot faster than transfering the pictures directly from the camera itself.

Or buy a Mac where you don't need any drivers, my S7000 syncs perfectly with the Mac.
LOL. I think a card reader might be a bit cheaper

BTW, for my current camera (a Canon EOS 10D) you do need to download drivers to get it working on a Mac, so it's the same as windows in that respect. I can only assume that the S7000 uses the generic drivers and so I suspect it would work on XP without any additional software install as well, (much like my old 6900 did).

Iain
Old 11 May 2004, 10:44 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Another suggestion would be to go to the computer management utilitity (control panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer management), select the device manager item in the tree view on the left, and see if you can see any red crosses next to bits of hardware on your machine. Could give a clue as to what is going wrong....
Old 11 May 2004, 11:00 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
BTW, for my current camera (a Canon EOS 10D) you do need to download drivers to get it working on a Mac, so it's the same as windows in that respect. I can only assume that the S7000 uses the generic drivers and so I suspect it would work on XP without any additional software install as well, (much like my old 6900 did).

Iain
Sorry, I've just had bad times with Fuji's an windows in the past.

Canon EOS 10D is supported without drivers from OSX version 10.2.5

On my S7000 the only thing that is needed from the disc is the RAW file import, for which you can use the software from the CD but I use Photoshop CS as it does a better job.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:02 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young

Iain
Almost forgot. My S7000 does not sync straight with my XP machine without the drivers.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:07 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Ah, the last one I looked at was OSX 9, which did need extra drivers. Probably because the camera is newer than the OS etc...

Bit of a minefield though innit
Old 11 May 2004, 11:11 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

That would explain it. Versions before OS X will need drivers, but now I am OS X I am yet to come across a single peripheral that has not been supported out of the box. Even my mums 3 year old Kodak digicam worked straight away
Old 11 May 2004, 11:11 AM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

It appears in the device manager under disk drives but says there is no driver installed, but if I try to update driver it comes up wit the same message as before.
Don't really want to spend any more money on card readers(or a new Mac!).
Old 11 May 2004, 11:16 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tinhead
It appears in the device manager under disk drives but says there is no driver installed, but if I try to update driver it comes up wit the same message as before.
Don't really want to spend any more money on card readers(or a new Mac!).
If you right click on the drive in device manager, click remove, then reboot the pc, it should then re-prompt you to install the software etc whenthe pc comes back up an you plug in the camera. Might not solve the problem, but it's worth a try....
Old 11 May 2004, 11:21 AM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

DOH!
Sorry guys, I have just clicked on the new drive in windows explorer and it seems I can acess the pictures despite all the error messages, i'm not really bothered about the Fuji software working.
Thanks for all the replies
Old 11 May 2004, 11:26 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tinhead
(or a new Mac!).
Aww go on