Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MP3 Players

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 08:32 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 Players

So, the old fashioned earplugs that come with mp3 players are far from acceptable as far as comfort is concerned.

So I went and bought some 'in ear' earphones. I had done my homework and plumped for The Plug.

Now, as you can see, the insertable canal plug is cone shaped... it is made from a material that you can screw up and it will expand again. Now, the idea is that you squash it to a thin cylindracal shape, quickly plug it in your ear and let it gently expand to the shape of your ear canal. Sounds simple right? Wrong. Ferverently squashing the plugs and trying to insert them before expanding is a feat in itself.

Anyhow, I searched the net for similar stories and came across a web page dedicated to the mod of the Plug!

They explained in minute detail but it still appeared that they were relying on inferior 'in canal' plugs.

I wasn't happy. I wanted a true in ear experience that didn't necessitate the squishing and squashing of spongy objects. I wanted something more akin to the needs of my own personal ear canal.

I looked around the net for something I could mod myself! I found these...

Yes, I know, they are for swimming but the shape was right and it was a push straight in affair as opposed to a squish in affair.

Of course, they are not supplied with a straight through hole so this needed to be attained before I would be able to hear any music through them.

I looked at the material and it was fairly plyable... I thought the use of a drill would be too heavy and prone to accidental damage.

Having a small set of mini screwdrivers I heated up a cross-head over my gas hob and inserted the red hot tip throught the end of the plug. It bore a nice clean round hole that created a through-fare from top to bottom.

They are exactly the correct size on the yellow end to push tightly over the Koss fitment.

Now for the real test... to try them on for size!

Fiddly to get in if your ears are dry... a little spit did the trick. Slipped right in like long time lovers. The bass was superior to the original plugs - they had a tinny end sound that was unbearable.

Here are a couple of photos of my finished product.

Happy earphone modding - oh, total cost of mod! £6.00. You can buy similar in ear phones for around £200 I think