Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox (Again!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 07:03 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox (Again!!!)

Another couple of quick questions for all you Xbox guru's...

Having done a huge amount of reading on the technicalities of modding Xbox's over the last few days in all manner of area's (chipping, flashing, networking, dashboards, apps - you name it, I've read about it! ) I still have just a couple of questions...

Firstly, how do I go about backing up my hard drive for the first time after I've installed the chip? Assuming I do the install, and flash the bios on the chip, I want to back up the whole disc prior to doing any messing about with the dash - how?

It seems that to gain FTP functionality, I need to install an alternate dashboard that supports FTP'ing, but this surely necessitates "fiddling" before I can backup? Can I FTP files over to my PC using the SLaYerS EvoX installer boot disc I've created today? Is there a way of accessing the Xbox HD with the standard MS Dash? Or will I *have* to install EvoX first?

Secondly, will I lose all of my game save information, and Music when I install the EvoX (for now!).

Finally, I'm aware (now - thanks DJDunk! ), of the various partitions present on the Xbox HD - when I access these via my PC, are these represented as individual drives (i.e. is the OE drive *actually* partitioned), or are they just individual folders on the HD?

I may have totally misunderstood a few things along the line, so if anything above sounds like total rubbish, or if I sound like a total pleb then try and be nice

Cheers guys,

K.
Old 29 April 2004, 08:33 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Yes, you can use the Slayers disc to backup via FTP to your PC. Check/Edit the evox.ini file from the slayers disc for the network settings.

[Network]

SetupNetwork = Yes
StaticIP = NO
Ip = 192.168.1.200
Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
Defaultgateway = 192.168.1.1
DNS1 = 194.63.248.1
DNS2 = 217.13.7.140
SkipIfNoLink = No
SetupDelay = 0
You only need to backup C and E.

You will not lose your game saves so long as you don't format any partitions.

The partitons will be displayed as individual drives through your FTP client.

Old 30 April 2004, 01:26 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Ta very much

As a sidenote, can I ask what Bios you run? I'm debating between the latest Xecuter Bios (4983?), and the EvoX equivalent - do you have a preference?

K.
Old 30 April 2004, 02:04 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... just discovered Avalaunch

K.