Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Blown motherboard?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 06:48 PM
MR Fusion
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown motherboard?

I've just had a call from a mate of mine who was just trying to upgrade the RAM in his PC. He says that after installing the new RAM, he powered up the machine but nothing happened - no boot at all.

On inspection of the new chips, two contacts have burn marks on them. Even with the new RAM removed the PC refuses to boot, with just the CPU and case fans running (no video or BIOS beeps at all).

I've suggested that he unplugs/disconnects everything and then has another go (minus the new RAM), but the poor bloke was in a bit of a state and said he'd phone me back later. He's an impatient chap, so can imagine that he didn't check to see if the RAM was properly inserted before powering on.

I'm guessing either the BIOS has blown or the rest of the RAM is totally knackered.

Any ideas?
Old 14 April 2004, 11:12 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Burn marks usually = dead RAM and maybe dead mobo. If the RAM was badly seated it would beep on bootup a number of times to tell you that. As it didnt I guess something went pearshaped voltage wise or anti-static precaution wasnt taken. You could try other Ram dimms, but that might get damaged to.