Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

plusnet broadband ??

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2004, 05:26 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plusnet broadband ??

Okay folks having now managed to free myself from that lovely tiscali crowd !! am now seriously considering going for this plusnet crowd, offering everything needed ( modem, filters, activation ) for £24.99 / month.

but slightly confused as to what the term is for broadband received thru your bt line ??-ie non cable broadband, as the bt line b/band method is the only option in the town where I stay.

so bascially- plusnet any recommendations ?? and okay for thru your bt telephone line ??

lastly, have seriously considered this pipex crowd also, from what I have read on here etc, it does seem to have a very good reputation, anyone have experience off both services ?? ( pipex / plusnet )

looking for a modem / filters / activation fee in with the price.

regards,
john..
Old 03 April 2004, 06:53 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Plusnet user here (no hesitations in recommending them), and yes it is a BT line job.

John.

ps - if you go with plusnet, any chance of listing me as having given you a recommendation?
Old 03 April 2004, 07:40 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Plusnet here also.

There have been a few comments on the poorer quality of the USB modem though.

Dave.
Old 03 April 2004, 09:33 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember Plusnet a few years back when they changed their T&C's on 24/7 Surftime accounts - because people were "using their accounts too much". I'd never trust them again. They also wanted to charge me £80 to give me my domain back.

I have an ADSL account with Demon & I also set up ADSL Demon accounts for my customers. No probs with Demon. Demon email can be unreliable, so I set up POP3 accounts elsewhere. For a 500kb a/c with 50:1 contention, Demon change £24.99 with no setup fee, supply your own modem/router.

ADSL uses BT lines. You need a BT line & then upgrade it to ADSL.
Old 04 April 2004, 04:57 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I didn't bother with the usb modem, and got the router from plusnet. No problems to report with it so far.

John.
Old 04 April 2004, 06:35 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

I'm been with plusnet for a few years now - top class service at a very good price.

I went for the self install option with e-mail & webspace etc. (I think the package is £22 p/m) and bought my own wireless/modem/router, I've got 2 PC's and the XBOX all sharing the same line no problems at all.

As said above - best go for a router if you can afford the extra.

Rich
Old 05 April 2004, 11:19 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Default RE. plusnet broadband ( important pipex update )

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay folks having now managed to free myself from that lovely tiscali crowd !! am now seriously considering going for this plusnet crowd, offering everything needed ( modem, filters, activation ) for £24.99 / month.

but slightly confused as to what the term is for broadband received thru your bt line ??-ie non cable broadband, as the bt line b/band method is the only option in the town where I stay.

so bascially- plusnet any recommendations ?? and okay for thru your bt telephone line ??

lastly, have seriously considered this pipex crowd also, from what I have read on here etc, it does seem to have a very good reputation, anyone have experience off both services ?? ( pipex / plusnet )

looking for a modem / filters / activation fee in with the price.

regards,
john..
Okay folks decided to go for pipex broadband in the end, so if anyone with pipex as there provider just now wants a free referal ( thats if they still do this ?? ) drop me a quick e-mail with your relevant pipex account details and will do this for you. am signing up for pipex thru a soon to be posted out to me application form, so will have a few days to get anyone details !!

first come first served !!!

cheers,
john...