ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   plusnet broadband ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/316213-plusnet-broadband.html)

jono300 03 April 2004 05:26 PM

plusnet broadband ??

Okay folks having now managed to free myself from that lovely tiscali crowd !! am now seriously considering going for this plusnet crowd, offering everything needed ( modem, filters, activation ) for £24.99 / month.

but slightly confused as to what the term is for broadband received thru your bt line ??-ie non cable broadband, as the bt line b/band method is the only option in the town where I stay.

so bascially- plusnet any recommendations ?? and okay for thru your bt telephone line ??

lastly, have seriously considered this pipex crowd also, from what I have read on here etc, it does seem to have a very good reputation, anyone have experience off both services ?? ( pipex / plusnet )

looking for a modem / filters / activation fee in with the price.

regards,
john..

john_s 03 April 2004 06:53 PM

Plusnet user here (no hesitations in recommending them), and yes it is a BT line job.

John.

ps - if you go with plusnet, any chance of listing me as having given you a recommendation? :D

Phantom_Flan_Flinger 03 April 2004 07:40 PM

Plusnet here also.

There have been a few comments on the poorer quality of the USB modem though.

Dave.

Nick 03 April 2004 09:33 PM

I remember Plusnet a few years back when they changed their T&C's on 24/7 Surftime accounts - because people were "using their accounts too much". I'd never trust them again. They also wanted to charge me £80 to give me my domain back.

I have an ADSL account with Demon & I also set up ADSL Demon accounts for my customers. No probs with Demon. Demon email can be unreliable, so I set up POP3 accounts elsewhere. For a 500kb a/c with 50:1 contention, Demon change £24.99 with no setup fee, supply your own modem/router.

ADSL uses BT lines. You need a BT line & then upgrade it to ADSL.

john_s 04 April 2004 04:57 PM

I didn't bother with the usb modem, and got the router from plusnet. No problems to report with it so far.

John.

Richard Curtis 04 April 2004 06:35 PM

I'm been with plusnet for a few years now - top class service at a very good price.

I went for the self install option with e-mail & webspace etc. (I think the package is £22 p/m) and bought my own wireless/modem/router, I've got 2 PC's and the XBOX all sharing the same line no problems at all.

As said above - best go for a router if you can afford the extra.

Rich

jono300 05 April 2004 11:19 AM

RE. plusnet broadband ( important pipex update )

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay folks having now managed to free myself from that lovely tiscali crowd !! am now seriously considering going for this plusnet crowd, offering everything needed ( modem, filters, activation ) for £24.99 / month.

but slightly confused as to what the term is for broadband received thru your bt line ??-ie non cable broadband, as the bt line b/band method is the only option in the town where I stay.

so bascially- plusnet any recommendations ?? and okay for thru your bt telephone line ??

lastly, have seriously considered this pipex crowd also, from what I have read on here etc, it does seem to have a very good reputation, anyone have experience off both services ?? ( pipex / plusnet )

looking for a modem / filters / activation fee in with the price.

regards,
john..

Okay folks decided to go for pipex broadband in the end, so if anyone with pipex as there provider just now wants a free referal ( thats if they still do this ?? ) drop me a quick e-mail with your relevant pipex account details and will do this for you. am signing up for pipex thru a soon to be posted out to me application form, so will have a few days to get anyone details !!

first come first served !!!

cheers,
john...