Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone with Direct Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 10:39 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anyone with Direct Connect?

Damn PC!

Yesterday I was downloading Happy Gilmore and the download was cancelled after 30%... Couldn't find any other files the same and so cancelled the now waiting file, closed direct connect and went to delete the 270-odd MB file that I had downloaded.....

Problem!

It won't let me - says that another user or program is using the file.... It's not (as far as I can see!)

I have ran adware, all my Norton utilities etc etc and still can't get rid of it! Restarted several times, still says the same.

My PC has also started running as slow as **** cos of it - takes ages to refresh screen etc

Task manager says that there are no progs running that shouldn't be. Only slows down when I open the folder that 30% of Happy Gilmore is in....

WTF is up with this file???????

How do I sort this mess out?!?!?!?!

Thanks!

Mike
Old 24 March 2004, 11:54 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike16v
Damn PC!

Yesterday I was downloading Happy Gilmore and the download was cancelled after 30%... Couldn't find any other files the same and so cancelled the now waiting file, closed direct connect and went to delete the 270-odd MB file that I had downloaded.....

Problem!

It won't let me - says that another user or program is using the file.... It's not (as far as I can see!)

I have ran adware, all my Norton utilities etc etc and still can't get rid of it! Restarted several times, still says the same.

My PC has also started running as slow as **** cos of it - takes ages to refresh screen etc

Task manager says that there are no progs running that shouldn't be. Only slows down when I open the folder that 30% of Happy Gilmore is in....

WTF is up with this file???????

How do I sort this mess out?!?!?!?!

Thanks!

Mike
Yeah yu get these sort of problems with some P2P software, I occasionally get it with BT. If you have tried going into safe mode and that hasent worked then the following procedure deffo will.

What to do is bring up a command prompt, start - run - command, find the file and do a del on from the dos prompt. If you cant see the file type cd.. (thats cd with two dots after it) unitil you get back to just the c:\> prompt where you can look for the DIR its stored in and then see the name of the file you are looking for.

Now this is the important bit, just before you hit return after doing a del happygil*.* of whatever its called, do a control - alt - delete and shut down Explorer. Once Explorer is shut down hit return and you should be able to deltete the file.