Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DIVX DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 01:17 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIVX DVD Player

I've just bought myself a new DVD player and I think a few of you guys would be interested!!

Have a look at this DVIX DVD Player from Maplin.

It will supports:

Disc Formats:

DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, VCD, SVCD, XVCD, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, WMA-CD, WMA-DVD, JPEG-CD, JPEG-DVD

Video Formats:

MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, XviD

Audio Formats:

Dolby Digital, DTS, MP3, WMA

Video Outputs:

SCART, S-Video, Composite Video

Audio Outputs:

Stereo, 5.1 Channel (fully decoded), Coaxial Digital, Optical Digital

I just got mine today and had a quick test with:

DVD (Regions 1, 2, 3 & 0) - Perfect picture and sound quality
MP3 Cd-R's - Good reproduction of music
VCD - Good picture and sound quality
SVCD - Good pitcure and sound quality
AVI (DIVX3, 4 & 5) - Reasonable/poor picture quality, but that is due to the quality of the file
MPEG (MPG2) - Reasonable picture and good sound quality, again due to the quality of the file

Conclusion:

It does everything you'd expect from a cheap/medium quality DVD player.

As a bonus, you don't need to convert any 'aquired' files into a VCD or SVCD format, just burn them as a data CD and the player picks them up.

(I tested this by burning a disc with multiple AVI and MPG2 files on an unfinalised disc, and you can play/skip to the next file whatever the format with no issues!)

As with any player it would depend on the quality of the file you 'aquire' to judge whether if plays good or bad quality picture & sound!

Price:

This player is a bargain at only £79.99 and if you register with the newsletter that they email you, you get a £7 off a £70 purchase or £10 off a £100 purchase! I paid £72.99 for this player and it turned up next day (ordered Monday afternoon, delivered on Tuesday late morning)

A bargain not to be missed, and it saves having to use Veedub, TMPGEnc, NeorVision, etc, etc!

I'm not in any way associated with Maplin, just dead chuffed to find such a good DVD player for less than £73!!!

Last edited by Andy Tang; 24 March 2004 at 01:22 AM.
Old 24 March 2004, 06:51 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Superb.......

Whats the wuality like compared to a branded player in regards to sound and visdual.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:57 AM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

This looks like the Umax 6600 which I was about to buy myself from Bigpockets for £68.99 + p+p so it's about the same price, good to hear it plays all those formats fine.

You can update the firmware from the Umax web site, just burn to cdr and flash the player. Think i'll order mine now
Old 24 March 2004, 09:01 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Bobby,

I had the Yamada DV-2100 before, which is the same brand and has the same basic DVD, VCD, SVCD, JPEG and MP3 features, but this one has the advantage of playing AVI and MPEG format videos with no conversion.

I can only compare it to the DVD players I had before. It's the same quality as the Yamada and I had no complaints with that! I was told a good way to judge a quality of a video image is to see what black looks like!! The beginning scene of Blade is a good example, there are various shades of black in a dingy environment and looks perfect.

My previous player was a Pioneer DVL-919 (DVD/LD Combo) and it cost £900 when first released! The Pioneer was not as good as either of the Yamada's when it came to video quality. The same Blade scene was blocky, grey, similar to a reasonable quality VCD. (The same contrast and brightness settings were retained for the comparison, as well as the same co-axial audio cable and s-video cable)

Corgi,

I'm not easily impressed when it comes to gadgets and toys, but I have to say, get one of these now!!!
Old 24 March 2004, 09:01 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Bobby,

You should have got an email about Sunday?

You can have a look and play then!
Old 25 March 2004, 09:04 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

DVD-R Help: DVD Player Review