Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win XP home install disk

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 10:21 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Win XP home install disk

I bought a PC a coupla years ago and would like to wipe and re-install everything.

It didn't come with an XP install disk. However, I do have the MS XP key thing stickered to the PC.

So can I use any copy of XP home and install using that key?

Any other issues I'd need to be aware of?

Alternatively, is there a way to 'reset' my XP back to when it was new? Bear in mind I've since installed a second HDD split into Linux and NTFS.

It's a Packard Bell jobbie that I got from PC World.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:27 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

im afraid once you have used that c.d key you cannot use it again you would need to either call microsoft up and persuade them that you have a legit copy and would need the code again, and you cannot do a system restore back to mer then a couple of months
Old 11 March 2004, 11:34 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

So can I use any copy of XP home and install using that key?
Probably not it will probably install up until the point where you have to enter the CD code, at which point it will tell you the key is invalid. This is because the majority (if not all) of OEM install disks are bios locked to a particular manufacturers PC, so (for example) you cannot use a DELL CD in a non-DELL PC, in your case you would need one from Packard Bell.

Until recently OEM suppliers were meant to provide end-users with a copy of the media for all software pre-installed - either on installable disks or on a system recovery disk/disks. AFAIK that changed quite recently and the supplier no longer needs to provide copies.

Packard Bell will probably make a charge for the disk(s). your other options include buying a fresh retail copy of XP home, but I doubt you'll want to do that seeing as you already 'own' the copy supplied with the PC
Old 11 March 2004, 11:36 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cong
im afraid once you have used that c.d key you cannot use it again you would need to either call microsoft up and persuade them that you have a legit copy and would need the code again, and you cannot do a system restore back to mer then a couple of months
If it was an OEM installation it would have been pre-activated with a generic key. The CD key on the sticker would not have been used yet.
Old 11 March 2004, 12:01 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I built a new machine a few months ago, and I re-installed WinXP Home no problems. I activated it and it didn't complain at all. Same key as I'd used in Nov 2001.

It was an OEM version too.

Just get hold of a disk and try it, what's the worst that will happen?

Geezer
Old 11 March 2004, 12:03 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

As long as your hadware hasn't changed much it should re-activate fine.

Andy
Old 11 March 2004, 12:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Well I had new CPU (switched from AMD to Intel), new disk, new motherboard, new graphics card. Couldn't change much more really!

Geezer