Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win2k- Removing a domain from Network Neighbourhood

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2004, 04:50 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Win2k- Removing a domain from Network Neighbourhood

Can anyone advise me how I remove an old domain name from network neighbourhood.

I cannot browse the domain, there are no DC's, workstations etc left in the old domain, the only link from the old & new domain was a BDC that now resides on the new domain... demoted this from the old domain & promoted to the new domain, thus destroying all the old domain info..

There are no containers or objects in AD referencing the old domain, no DNS records or Zones.... etc

What have I missed?, it's doing my head in! , I have search registry on both servers but with no avail

DC= 2003 SBS
BDC= 2000 Server

Cheers For any help
Old 08 March 2004, 04:59 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not sure, but this may be a clue, when you removed the server from the old domain do you remember if it asked you "is this the last server in this domain ?" , I think you need to get this question and say "yes" to remove traces of the domain in other locations, I don't just think it's a question of dropping out of one domain and into another.
Hope this helps.

Ian..
Old 08 March 2004, 09:01 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Ian, Thanks for the reply..

The server in question was a BDC & removed first so at that time it was'nt the last dc in the domain.. it then joined the new domain, the PDC was then demoted & then checked the box last dc in domain, the old pdc is no longer using on the new network, but the bdc is.. but somehow the remnents are still there.. guess I should just forgot about it & be thankful it works!
Old 08 March 2004, 10:29 PM
ChrisB

SBS and promoting / demoting domain controllers is very messy. MS crippled a lot of functions in SBS 4.5 - you can't demote the SBS server from being a PDC to start with.

MS's own recommendation is to make additional servers members, not (B)DCs. I stick to that theory for SBS 2003 today.

Anything in WINS though?
Old 09 March 2004, 06:01 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Chris,

I decided during the upgrade to try & add the sbs server as a member server, then promote it to the DC, that was he plan but it did'nt work hence why it still has reference to the old domain.. anway cut along story short, I was using dameware today & noticed that an old workstation (which had now been renamed) from the old domain appears in the new domain along with the old domain controller which was demoted to a member server, files & data transferred etc then taken off the network... so I had a peek within AD expecting to see these two rogue computers & thought just remove the computer accounts job done, however they don't appear anywhere, in any OE!..

So back to dameware NT & try to remove the members from the domain, error network path cannot be found, the computers dissapear he reappear when refreshed!..

So searched the reg.. nothing... wins... nothing.. no domain trusts etc

In know it's not really a big thing but I like to have things tidy!, strange though on some workstations they can't see the old domain in network neighbourhood..

Looks like a case of a couple of disjoined accounts that have lost trust, but as the 2 computers no longer exist I can't remove em..

Any way of manually editing the domain name out??

What should of been a quick & simple job has turned into a right pain in the ****!

Thanks again for any help
Old 09 March 2004, 06:02 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

have also checked & all computers on the LAN are using the correct new netbios name..