Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

"Socket not found" WTF ??

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2004, 11:57 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Socket not bound" WTF ??

"10022 Socket not bound, invalid address or listen is not invoked prior to accept"

Yeah, right!!!

No doubt it's to do with my communications (Freeserve B/B and separate external 56K Modem)??? Comes up on loading XP - but in fact everything seems to be in order.

Plain language anyone? Solution? (see also post about XP system restore)

TIA

Phil

Last edited by Phil Harrison; 08 March 2004 at 06:07 PM. Reason: edit replace "found" by "bound"
Old 09 March 2004, 11:03 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

BTT - Surely someone knows something.....!

Phil
Old 09 March 2004, 11:11 AM
ChrisB

Anything in your Startup group?

Do you have IIS loaded? To check, see if "Internet Services Manager" exists in your Administrative Tools folder on the Start Menu or in Control Panel.
Old 09 March 2004, 11:16 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I would first run eventvwr to see if there are any related errors in there. Also check what is being run at startup by running msconfig. Try starting in safe mode, if the error vanishes then it is a driver, service or other programme being run at startup.
Old 09 March 2004, 11:31 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys - I'll go look and report back. The error suddenly 'appeared' a couple of days back, probably after doing a McAfee update. Problem is, I can't roll back on system restore 'cos I lost the restore points when shutting down restore functionality to enable me to run a virus check, and my system has gone a bit metastable http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=307144

Phil
Old 09 March 2004, 11:49 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Internet Services Manager does not exist in Administrative Tools at 1st level. Startup and Services seem OK. Eventvwr shows Errors at booting time "DCOM" Event 1000 User N/A, which is gobbledy-gook to me, I fear (but undoubtedly the problem)

Over to the experts to interpret!!

TIA

Phil
Old 09 March 2004, 12:15 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Not really sure on that, but I know some worms use an exploit in DCOM. Did you say you have scanned for viruses using the latest DAT files? A virus *may* explain why the computer is trying to open a socket on boot up.

Is your system up to date with service packs/security updates?

Also see http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=111 for info on DCOM
Old 09 March 2004, 12:33 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Aha! McAfee intercepted an infected E-mail around that time and said that it had dealt with it: having lost my restore points last time I did a deep scan at McAfee prompting, I was loath to do so again and so took its word for it. I then had a rogue event: the Ad-blocker function of Tweak XP tried to access the Internet at startup, which I blocked using the firewall (relatively newly installed, though Tweak XP had never tried this on previously). So, I guess the firewall is technically causing the problem, though whether the attempt(s) to access the net are worm-inspired or legitimate, I don't know. Ad-aware 6 has never accused tweak XP of being spyware, however.....

I think I have an idea where I'm going, now......

Thanks to both

Phil