Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

hard drive

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2004, 01:48 PM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard drive

how can i get my main drive to revert back to being a local c drive and not local f, i rebuilt this pc with new main board and primary drive and a few outher bits after a power surge which popped just about everything. i have 2 cd drives and 2 hard drives, my new drive has called itself f and my secondary has called itself c, windows xp is installed on the new main drive which is what i wanted but i need it to be a c drive and not f,, why has this changed and can i change the back without a reinstall.reinstalled many times and rebuilt/upgraded and this has never happened before, thanks
Old 07 March 2004, 03:05 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The option in XP is found in the Manage section.

Right click on My Computer icon then MANAGE.

Then into disk management from the list. Then right click on F: then properties change drive letter.
Old 07 March 2004, 05:38 PM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

thanks, had ago, but said windows cant change the drive letter or paths of this drive
Old 07 March 2004, 06:06 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Sorry - change c: first to G: or H:

then repeat above - that will work.
Old 07 March 2004, 06:45 PM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

tried that as well wont change the c to any outher name, says something about the drive contains a page file
Old 07 March 2004, 06:49 PM
rav4640
Scooby Regular

just changed it from c to h, but i still cant get the f drive back to c, still says window cant do it
Old 07 March 2004, 07:37 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

When you attempt to change an existing drive letter, you receive the following error message:

The volume volume_label drive_letter is currently in use.
If you continue, the new drive letter will be assigned; but you can still use the old drive letter to access the volume until you restart your computer. The old drive letter will not be available for assignment until you restart.

Warning: Changing the drive letter of a volume might cause programs to no longer run.

This error message can occur if there are files in use on the drive, partition, or volume. This includes files that are accessed by other people on the network. To resolve this behavior, use one of the following methods:

Click No when you receive the error message. Quit all programs that are using the files on the volume, and then change the drive letter (right-click the volume, click Change Drive Letter and Paths, and then click Change). Click Yes to proceed with the drive letter change.

When you attempt to remove an existing drive letter, you receive the following error message:

The volume volume_label drive_letter is currently in use.
If you continue, the drive letter will be freed; however, it will still be available for use until you restart your computer.

Warning: Changing the drive letter of a volume might cause programs to no longer run.

This error message can occur if there are files in use on the drive, partition, or volume. This includes files that are accessed by other people on the network. To resolve this behavior, use one of the following methods:

Click No when you receive the error message. Quit all programs that are using the files on the volume, and then remove the drive letter (right-click the volume, click Change Drive Letter and Paths, and then click Remove). Click Yes to remove the drive letter the next time you start your computer.