Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

My Computer Keeps Freezing - HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2004, 09:13 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Computer Keeps Freezing - HELP !

Ever since I tried opening an attatchment in an e mail (it didn't open btw) my computer keeps freezing randomly. Usually for about ten seconds at a time

I have used a (free) online virus check and it came up with nothing and I have also done a "disk cleanup"

I'm a bit concerned about some e mails I have been getting aswell. I've been getting a lot from people I don't know, with attchments. Subjects such as "your pictures" and "your website". Since i've been getting all this trouble I delete them straight away now, but I'd like to know whats happening.

Many thanks,
Old 05 March 2004, 09:55 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

The emails you are getting will most likely be the NetSky-B virus. At a guess, the attachment you tried opening but couldn't has caused your PC to become infected. The 'free' virus scanner you used may not have been up-to-date enough to recognise recently released virii.

TBH, I'm amazed how many people do not have anti-virus defences - its an absolute must - especially if you use ADSL/broadband.
Old 06 March 2004, 07:42 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem,because i went on line to download av and a firewall and got a virus within minutes,then the pc wont stay up long enough to go on the web to do anything about it! Fig,many people like me dont really understand,and certainly dont expect to get viruses through unprotected ports within mins of going on line,we are lead to believe its mostly email related,so going on line after a clean Windows re install to get av and fw doesnt seem too much of a risk for 10 mins.....................but it crashed my lappy and took a week to clear,so i bought the software first instead of downloading it

anway,

if you can,download stinger here,

http://uk.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

also,if yuo have your pc set to send error messages to Microsoft and they tell you have a virus,then go here for a removal tool,or you may want to use one of these tools

http://uk.mcafee.com/root/faqs.asp?s...remove%20virus

Last edited by dba; 06 March 2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06 March 2004, 11:32 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Also try this from Sophos - specifically for the Netsky virus strains

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/netskyb.html
Old 06 March 2004, 02:50 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Firwealls are only good if there set up right in the first place
I have seen people add a firewall and then sit back thinking there safe
When if fact there not
I use DCombob from http://grc.com to test ports are in stealth mode
I had a problem a few months back upgraded to XP pro went to get some updates and while doing that some tw@t got in through a backdoor and gave me a virus all sorted now though
Old 07 March 2004, 12:03 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Those links have worked a treat - I did have a virus and its now been deleted - thanks very much