Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

need help - LAN related

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2004, 05:37 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help - LAN related

Ok here we go...

I have at work a number of laptops connected on a LAN (set up using ethernet cables & a hub/switch).

2 x laptops are using XP
the other laptops (just 1 connected at the moment) are using Win2000

The LAN is all up and running (all on MSHOME, obtain IP address automatically)

The 2 laptops with XP can see each others icon and access each others shared files/printers etc by clicking on them. They can also see the Win2000 Laptop icon.

The laptop with Win2000 can see both the XP laptop icons and can access their shared files/printers as well.

The problem i have is when on either of the XP laptops i try to access the Win2000 laptop (by clicking on the computer icon) i get a prompt for username & password....

....AFAIK there hasnt been username/passwords set, i'm the administrator/bloke who set up the LAN and i know i havnt set one (BTW I'm not an IT guru - just have the most knowledge in my office about networking).

Anyway, the two XP laptops cant access the Win2000 laptops shared files and i want them to.

Can anyone help me out, does a box somewhere need ticking/unticking, idiot proof instructions required.

cheers
chris
Old 04 March 2004, 08:41 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Not having a 2k workstation anywhere near or a 2k machine that isnt in an active directory this will have to come out of the grey matter:

I'm assuming here that you're using the administrator account. If not make sure that all accounts on all machines are using the same name/password and read on

=== not 100% on this bit as I've used xp home for about 5 mins since it was launched ===
If you're running XP Home on the laptops then it will be a bit more difficult (ie. you'll need to add machines into the password section under users in the control panel). If you are using XP Pro read on:
===
First off run a "net use" from a command window (start->run->cmd then enter) on an xp machine to make sure it doesnt have any existing logon credentials for the 2k machine. If it does it will use these in preference to any other (ie. your current username and password). If it does have existing log on info (or shared drives) then remove them using net use /delete \\xxxx. Essentially copy the info that is displayed from the net use. Type net use /? if you want to find out the syntax etc.

Now you should have the xp mahine set up so it knows nothing about the 2k machine. Now, if the username and password that you're using on the XP machines exists on the 2k machine there shouldnt be a problem connecting as it will use those credentials when its tried to connect.

One last thing, make sure you have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed and enabled on the 2k machine, but I think you will if its showing up in the workgroup.

If however, they are different then you'll need to sort that issue first.

HTH,

Jules

PS. Are you running zone alarm on any of the machines, if so what version on each machine and are they set up to allow