Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless broadband set-up

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2004, 02:59 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wireless broadband set-up

I've found someone who lives in a neighbouring village who's happy to host a broadband connection for me and then spray it down the valley by wireless.

I think I've got a handle on the kit that we'll both need in terms of aerials and routers but I'm not sure what else will be required at the host site. In paticular, what are you left with after BT have connected you up? Is is a standard BT socket? What's the best way to connect to the router in his loft? I'd like to lessen the visual impact as far as possible and I've been advised to minimise the distance between the aerial on his roof and the router in his loft.

Any input much appreciated.

Cheers
Kav

Last edited by Mark Miwurdz; 02 March 2004 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Can't spell :D
Old 02 March 2004, 03:16 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

If it's "Wires Only" then all BT do is activate ADSL at the exchange. You then purchase the kit & microfilters you need. Plug a microfilter into every BT socket in the house and plug your ADSL modem/router/access point into the ADSL socket of the microfilter nearest to the desired install point. You can run a new BT extension to wherever you want the mode/router/access point if desired - you will still need a microfilter in this one.
Old 02 March 2004, 03:20 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Fig

Does this approach still stand if BT install a new line which'd be for broadband only?

Cheers
Kav
Old 02 March 2004, 04:14 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

What you get depends on the ADSL package you order - irrespective of whether line is new or existing. In true BT fashion its all a bit hit and miss. I would guess that, as you intend using wireless that you are going to source your own hardware.

Order "managed install" (BT install and supply modem) package with your new line and (depending on the mood of BT at the time) you may see one or two engineers on the same or different days. Engineer 1 will install the phone point. Engineer 2 (which might be the same person) will change the front cover of the phone point to one with two sockets (ADSL and Phone) - this is effectively your microfilter for this point. If you're really unlucky, engineer 2 arrives the day before engineer one!

Engineer may deliver the modem, or it might come by post.

I recently ordered two lines for ADSL. BT wouldn't accept the ADSL part of the order until the telephone lines had been installed and were working. You cannot order ADSL from a different supplier until you have the line installed and know the telephone number.
Old 02 March 2004, 04:30 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Fig