Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless advice

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 09:37 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wireless advice

Any recommendations for a wireless router and pci and laptop cards for use with Blueyonder (not ADSL).
I understand Netgear is pretty good?
Old 26 February 2004, 11:17 AM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Default Might help :-)

Originally Posted by wideboyuk
Any recommendations for a wireless router and pci and laptop cards for use with Blueyonder (not ADSL).
I understand Netgear is pretty good?
Dunno if this helps or not, I use a Netgear 824b wireless / broadband modem / router / firewall. Had loads of different wireless devices hanging off it.

802.11G & 802.11b PCMCIA and USB connections.

Also got 3 systems wired to the router via 100Mn net.

All work extremely fast and no issues. The firewall is particularly useful to stop people getting in.

Iain
Old 26 February 2004, 12:53 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'm considering Netgear, Linksys, or Belkin.
Swaying towards Linksys or Netgear at the mo.
Old 26 February 2004, 01:02 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I'm on ADSL and have just recently ordered Linksys wireless gear.I gotta good deal from http://www.nascenttech.com and have to say the stuff is quality but I've had a problem with the pcmcia card in my laptop not being able to receive an ip address from the dhcp server (The wireless gateway acts as dhcp server)
Having phoned Linksys UK tech support a couple of times (And being a techy myself),I find the calls are always routed to the US and the people on the other end of the phone are (In my opinion) not very technical (They're reading from a screen from what I can make out).
With Linksys being part of Cisco,this is also an added bonus cos you know the gear is gonna be good
The person I spoke to at Nascenttech was Stuart and he did me a damn good deal on the stuff I bought and they worked out quite a bit cheaper than the other known websites that sell this kinda product!!
I don't know Stuart personally,but you may wanna mention Scoobynet and my name as when I called we got talkin about cars etc and it turns out he does like his Subarus (Not sure if he drives one though!! lol)

Good luck

Nick
Old 26 February 2004, 01:13 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nick will take a look at the site

Checked out a few places and it seems that for a router, pci card and laptop card will be around the £150.
Does that sound about right.

Oh and yes I will be looking at security, but I doubt that anyone near me would have a wireless piece of kit anyway !!

Last edited by wideboyuk; 26 February 2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 26 February 2004, 01:13 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

I recently got ADSL, and use a DLink DSL604(I think) wireless router, and DLink PCI wireless network card in one PC, and a cheapo wireless network card in the other PC. Works a treat, has built in firewall, encryption, and restriction of access, probably all standard stuff. I would use it all though, as there appears to be someone who lives near me with a wireless router, and I can connect to the internet through their router if I want, cause it has no protection on it.

Last edited by CTR; 26 February 2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 26 February 2004, 01:34 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CTR
I would use it all though, as there appears to be someone who lives near me with a wireless router, and I can connect to the internet through their router if I want, cause it has no protection on it.
I presume you can do various things such as only allow certain MAC addresses etc etc. The router acts as a DHCP server so presumably u can't block by IP address, because soon as something comes within range it gets assigned an IP address?
Old 26 February 2004, 01:45 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you can set which MAC address, and if you enable encryption, it wont let anyone on who isnt using the correct encryption key(I managed to lock everybody out and had to start over). It has a built in DHCP, so like you you say I dont think you can restrict based on IP address.
Old 26 February 2004, 01:48 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CTR
Yeah, you can set which MAC address, and if you enable encryption, it wont let anyone on who isnt using the correct encryption key(I managed to lock everybody out and had to start over). It has a built in DHCP, so like you you say I dont think you can restrict based on IP address.
Ah, the encryption key bit sounds useful
I take it not too hard to setup?
Old 26 February 2004, 02:01 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

You can configure the routers/gateways to only accept certain mac addresses ie those that are on YOUR network etc.Plus there's lots of security you can define such as turning off SSID broadcasts,enabling encryption etc etc
I think for my kit all in it came to just short of £200 and that included next day delivery (I ordered a WAG54G wireless gateway,WPC54G pcmcia card and a WGA54G for my PS2 and xbox)

Good luck
Old 26 February 2004, 02:23 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Is it worth connecting my PS2 up?
Not much online gaming for it yet is there?
Times like this I wish I invested in an X-box
Old 26 February 2004, 02:42 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Encryption easy to set up, set the encryption key(type in any old text) at the router, reboot router, set it on the clients through config utilities for network card. All encrypted.

Ah, just reread your first post, dont if all this will work with Blueyonder or how it differs from ADSL.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:54 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
I've had a problem with the pcmcia card in my laptop not being able to receive an ip address from the dhcp server (The wireless gateway acts as dhcp server)
Nick, how did you solve this problem in the end?
Old 27 February 2004, 10:15 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Nick, how did you solve this problem in the end?
I tried everything Andy...
Funny thing was,the router was showing that it had leased an ip address to my laptop but my laptop refused to pick it up.As this pcmcia card (WPC54G) is only three weeks old,it's gonna be replaced with a new one,obviously under warranty.To get it to work I found that if I went into the wireless connection settings on the laptop and specified a fixed ip address (ie the one that the router had issued to it anyway) and set the routers ip address for dns and default gateway I could access the internet without a problem but as soon as I changed back to using dhcp instead of fixed ip it simply wouldn't lease an address.....
I mate of mine brought his laptop last night and to prove it was a problem with the card,I allowed his mac address to use my network and he got issued with an ip addy no problem!!!!

So,are you having a similar problem? Got similar equipment to me?

Cheers

Nick
Old 27 February 2004, 11:00 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I'm using a Linksys router with Linksys Wireless Access Point.

All the PC's that are hardwired are fine and get issued their address by the router.

My laptop using a Netgear USB wireless adapter can pick up an IP address via the DHCP router in the router. When I use a PC Card, it just won't pick up an address, in fact it seems to issue the wrong class of address.

Manually giving it an address, DNS servers and gateway doesn't work!

Strange thing is that I know the card works as I can surf the internet on my neighbours wireless connection! And it picks up an IP address from their server!

I might change my range from 192.168.1.x and see if that makes a difference, as my neighbour is on 10.0.0.x

I'm running 128bit WEP as well as MAC address security, but my nieghbour isn't, so I guess they are the most likely reasons why it's not a getting an IP address and unable to connect to the internet, even when the details are entered manually!
Old 27 February 2004, 11:13 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thinking out loud:

If the MAC address and the WEP weren't correct, it would say it had connected to my network and give me the signal strength icon, would it?
Old 01 March 2004, 09:48 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Sorted now, it was the WEP key stopping the card from picking up an IP address from the DHCP server.

It's still running with the MAC address authentication, so it's kind of secure.
Old 01 March 2004, 11:59 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

I have been running Linksys gear at home for a while now, its great!! also got the games adapter so the Xbox and Playstation change rooms frequently!