Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Admin rights

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2004, 11:59 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP Admin rights

I've started a nnew job and been given a nice new laptop with XP Pro, however I only have user rights not admin rights which is preventing me from installing various apps.

Is there a way around this without asking the helpdesk for installation rights? I only want to install the Nokia comms suite and the sync program for my Micro Roadpilot.

Phil
Old 14 February 2004, 12:09 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol, I spend most my days tring to stop users installing software on their laptops

It all depends on how much rights you have, if you have standard user rights it could be more difficult but if you have power user you have a chance

try having a look at lophtcrack, if you can get it installed and running it will give you all the password on your Pc (can take days to crack and some passwords it cant get)

- be warned if I found lophtcrack on a users pc I would be taking action as software like this can find all types of password and give you access to everyones files which obviously is a security risk
Old 14 February 2004, 02:56 PM
M J B
Scooby Regular

At work i have a disk that resets the admin password, has been very useful If you think its OK to use this prog, surly they will say its OK as well?
Old 14 February 2004, 04:20 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Doing it behind your IT department's back is not wise. Its up to you but I personally would just ask them the a higher account (Poweruser or admin). If I got a laptop back (as rich said) with this software installed I would be mightly pissed

Darren
Old 14 February 2004, 06:26 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

not sure if this works with sp1 in domain mode, but open up a cmd prompt & try it anyway depends on what updates have been installed..

type: net user administrator NEWPASSWORDHERE

you can run this from restricted accounts, (users/guests/power users) on unpatched machines.

Logoff, logon as administrator with whatever password you set (logon to local account not domain, so options>logon to>this computer at logon screen)

Cheers

Old 15 February 2004, 09:23 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

might just ask the IT dept nicely. don't want to upset them after being there for 2 days
Old 15 February 2004, 12:34 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

As under the data protection act, if its stated in your companies computer user guidlines not to to install/modify programs on the laptop you can get the sack

Just ask them, I am one of these IT guys and we don't mind if people ask, its when people get smart and try to get round the system we go and do full audits of their pcs/internet usage

Or if you realy want to, if you are able to get the lappy to boot from cd get a copy of ERD Comander (or NERD Commando as we call it ), this can reset admin passwords