Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

continuing net problems !!

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 08:13 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default continuing net problems !!

Still looking for ideas in curring this problem I seem to have with my packard bell club 66 / ntl dial-up account !! w98 and zonealarm firewall, anyone any other ideas to try ??!!

problem from an average days computing /

Okay, turn the pc on in the morning, say 8:00am everything fine, connection speed okay, dial up okay, and web pages load satisfactory,disconnect from the net a few hours later and just leave the pc on with screensaver in the background, say its now 14:00 hours and I want to have another look around the net, dial up, get thru okay, but now the pages I look up are so slow to download that normally the connection has been cut before they have fully downloaded !!

so okay you say, middle afternoon, more folks using the web in general, slower connection ?? fact off life !! so why come every time that I fully turn off the computer and turn back on again and then re-connect my connection is back to normall !! ie, fairly satisfactory, fairly quick page downloads and normally no disconnections from the net until I decide so ??!!

Have recently upped the ram to 160 thinking this may be the problem ?? no !! have cleared out all temp internet files, etc, not this either !!

am on the verge off going over to broadband but would like to know if this problem will probably continue when using this against dial -up ??

any ideas anyone ?? would certainly be appreciatted
Old 11 February 2004, 08:22 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

It definately sounds like it's just down to bandwith and the amount of traffic.

Web pages today are loaded with all kinds of images, flash etc and I wouldn't even bother connecting to the net over a dial-up anymore.

Go to Broadband and I'd 99% expect you'll have no problems
Old 11 February 2004, 08:23 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

What happens if you diable ZoneAlarm when it is going slow?

Also, ditch Windows 98 it's a pile of poo!!!!
Old 11 February 2004, 08:30 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I would say its '98 mate.
The op system cannot actually address the same ammount of memory as win 2k or xp
It also has memory soak, ie it will not free it up properly, when apps are closed down.
The % of memory free will continue to decrease until to the point you are seeing and further. I think 98 will only address 128 Mb of ram, maybe less , i'm not sure.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:31 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps, will try knocking off the zonealarm see if it makes any difference ?? and okay agrea that dial up connection is outdated !! but in all honesty when the connection is working well the speed off my connection is actually very acceptable !!

the one thing that does baffle me is this being able to cure this slow connection by turning the pc off and then turning back on again, works every time,anyone explain that one ??!!

thanks again,
john...
Old 11 February 2004, 12:54 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Win98 is indeed poo, but an upside is it is less interesting to those who write viruses and therefore potentially more secure than XP etc.

As win98 memory management is rather poor, you might want to try a memory clearing application such as maxmem to clear down your ram when it fills up as you surf. It's free too!

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...tem/maxmem.htm

Suresh
Old 11 February 2004, 02:43 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Jono

I think Foot_Tapper has already explained why switching the pc off cures the problem. It's down to the memory, when you switch your pc off everything is cleared down so when you turn the pc back on it's all fresh again - after another period of time the memory will become full again as explained by Foot_Tapper in his previous post.
Old 11 February 2004, 04:03 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all who replied re. my internet connection problems, have already downloaded that small programme mate !! certainly sounds as if it could be the cure ??!! hope so !!

thanks again,
john...