Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DAMN ANNOYING ie6 / WinXP problem

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 07:39 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAMN ANNOYING ie6 / WinXP problem

Hi all,

Had a laptop come in today from one of our execs, to have Office 2003 installed.

As a matter of course I checked the Anti-Virus was up to date (McAfee VirusScan ASaP). Turns out it was a few months out of date (meant to be auto updating).

I removed the AV, and tried to reinstall it. Usually you do the link for the AV and another smaller window pops up which contains the installer. This isn't happening.

I decided to go onto windows update to do all that. It appears EVERY website you visit throws up a "An error has occured on this page would you like to debug" error box.

Disabling debugging doesn't help as the page just fails to work. And still no AV.

I tried a repair on IE6 - can't reinstall as 1) you can't uninstall it and 2) if you try setup again it says it's downloading 0.1mb worth of stuff and then says finished.

I suspect the scripting host is up the spout, does anyone have any ideas - else I will have to reformat/rebuild it tomorrow I've got a lot of other work I could do with getting on with (and ScoobyNet browsing ).

Andy
Old 10 February 2004, 08:30 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Apparently this is a common error message users receive when using pop-up stopping programs.

After you checked disable debugging, did you shut all browsers, or at the most, reboot? Is there a pop-up stopper? I have the same problem at work but our software is all serverside as opposed to local and thought perhaps the tweeks I make locally dont actually make any difference.

Besides, I have no idea what Im talking about as many here will confirm
Old 10 February 2004, 08:36 PM
zedx19
Scooby Newbie

I suggest you ditch internet explorer for a start! Download Opera or Mozilla Firebird, both a million times better then IE.
Old 10 February 2004, 08:41 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zedx19
I suggest you ditch internet explorer for a start! Download Opera or Mozilla Firebird, both a million times better then IE.
That's certainly an option, but each have their limitations as does IE. I have heard better things about Firebird on my travels, still haven't tried anything other than IE myself as don't get any problems.
Old 10 February 2004, 08:42 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

BTW - this VB is waaaaay better than scoobynets own silly forum isnt it Not as nice as IB though
Old 10 February 2004, 08:46 PM
zedx19
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
That's certainly an option, but each have their limitations as does IE. I have heard better things about Firebird on my travels, still haven't tried anything other than IE myself as don't get any problems.
Aye, I've tried Firebird, think they've changed the name again though, IIRC its Firebox now lol I tried Firebird but wasn't that impressed with it, love Opera really, prefer how new windows are kept within 1 program, not filling up your taskbar, doesn't seem to gobble resources, skinnable and I use the password Wand thingy bobby loads!
Old 10 February 2004, 08:57 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Password wand? Sounds like it was written by Graham Norton LOL
Old 10 February 2004, 09:05 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Tried Opera (Full java install) didn't even load the AV page let alone the one that pops up, so didn't bother mentioning it. Not happy about them having AdWare on their machines anyway..

No there is no popup stuff running its just shyte
Old 11 February 2004, 08:30 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Try re-applying Service Pack 1
Old 11 February 2004, 08:58 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Just tried that again and it gets to the bit after you select whether or not to archive files, chugs for a few secs then comes up with "Service Pack 1 Setup error" Message:"Service pack 1 setup cancelled".

Rebuild time methinks!
Old 11 February 2004, 08:59 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
BTW - this VB is waaaaay better than scoobynets own silly forum isnt it Not as nice as IB though
Can't argue with that!!
Old 11 February 2004, 02:49 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sidhead

What error message?

Is it the one where it tells you the product code is invalid??

I had this and I have a little app that lets you change your product code (cause you obviously keyed it in wrong ) to one which will be accepted by Service Pack 1
Old 11 February 2004, 02:54 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

The message box title was "Service Pack 1 Setup error" and the content was:"Service pack 1 setup cancelled".

No matter now really, I've sent it to my colleague to be rebuilt. I'm too busy with stupid SQL stuff to be faffing about installing ghey operating systems
Old 11 February 2004, 02:57 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I've found that having the Google Popup ad stoper effects loads of installations. Has this been turned on?

Also have to downloaded the Full network install for Internet Explorer? This is the whole 60MB download.

Darren
Old 11 February 2004, 03:00 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

No it wasn't, no toolbar installed.

Yep i was using the full install off a network drive which has a copy of the MSDN disc.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:56 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Andy, Had just the same problem with allot of our 2k builds when trying to update to IE6 and SP4, The only way round It was to install ie6 on a good machine and used sysdiff to see exactly what had changed then created my own installation program using sysdiff took about 2 days to do but I had 500 + machines that woundn't update . This now just force's SP4 and IE6 on to any PC and gives no error messages its kind of cool to see people try for days to get it working then u run this and it goes in no problem

not worth it in this case I feel, ( unless you want to waist a day playing ) but was the only way I found round a simular problem
Old 11 February 2004, 11:19 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Cheers, its all rebuilt now though!! Just gotta copy their personal crap back over to it tomorrow and send it off to them.

Andy
Old 12 February 2004, 01:19 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!! The same thing has now happened on the other person's laptop that we installed O2003 on the other day.

Andy