Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

can,t send e mails

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 06:35 PM
scoobynson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy can,t send e mails

ever since changing from Freeserve to Blueyonder
cannot send e mails unless i dis connect and reconnect using freeserve.
blue yonder will receive e mails from both accounts but will not send any at all
comes up withh 550 protocol error.
anyone had this problem?
Old 07 February 2004, 06:53 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

How are you sending emails? If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express or some such program then your email acount settings wll specify an outbound server name and possibly a username/password to log on.

If you are still using the Freeserve settings for these then they will be blocked as I think Freeserve only allow connections to their servers from their own network (i.e. Freeserve) and not from Blueyonder etc. Did you get an email account with Blueyonder - does this work?

There are a host of other things that may cause you issues such as Blueyonder may not allow mail through it's servers without a blueyonder from address, they may snaffle (technical term that) port 25 connections and reroute them to their own server no matter what etc. etc. A Blueyonder subscriber will be able to help you with that one -there must be a few on here.

Hope this gives you some pointers.

tiggers.
Old 07 February 2004, 06:55 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

I assume your email account is with Freeserve then?

If you have an email account with an ISP you normally cannot send emails through their servers unless you are dialed into them. This is to stop Spammers using their facilities. They often let you collect your email quite happily without a problem though.
Old 07 February 2004, 07:35 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

If you want to continue using the freeserve email address, try changing the outgoing SMTP server to blueyonders one.

Doesn't work with all ISPs, as some only allow you to send if the email address is one of theirs, but worth a try.
Old 07 February 2004, 07:36 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Easy just put the blueyonder SMTP server details in your freeserve account within the accounts setup in outlook/outlook express, leave the incoming mail server the same...(you may need to set up the ssl connection if blueyonder needs it-doubt it though) the mail will send automatically send through the Blueyonder server, no problem as your authorised to send SMTP data during the dialup procedure..

Should solve your problem, don't think blueyonder are like AOL who block all smtp (and multiple FTP ) traffic, preventing you from using other servers..

Give it a go, email me if you need any more help.

Tim
Old 07 February 2004, 07:49 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Freeserve seem to allow you to use other email providers. Perhaps Blueyonder aren't quite so accommodating.