Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DreamWeaver MX question – removing tables but keeping text within?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 02:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Got a file in DWMX, all text of numbered paragraphs, but it has been laid out using table cells. Sometimes one wide, if a big title of a paragraph (few); sometimes two wide, with the para number on the left and the text on the right (a lot); and sometimes 3 wide, with an indent space in the first, a sub-para number in the middle, and the text on the right (also a lot). As it is a shorter version of an original document, it is not one continuous table as you scroll down, but a series of little ones.

Can someone tell me the fastest way to get rid of all the cells but keeping the text tidy? I expect it will be by using “replace all”, either source code or specific tag, in some way, but I don’t know enough about table coding to be able to do it. Maybe replace all closing cell tags with para marks, then delete all opening cell tags?

I can maybe do some manually – in fact many cells in the left column(s) are empty, they are just spacers for all the sub-paragraphs, so I can go through and drag the few numbers into the right column - but the document is about 20-30 pages long, so I prefer to keep manual work to a minimum! I still have the problem of, once it’s a succession of single-column tables (with many <br> tags), how to remove the tables.

Grateful for advice!

Brendan
Old 29 January 2004, 03:41 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used dw mx since it came out and have been a webmaster for over 5 years, and to be honest thats waaaaaaaaaaay to complicated for me lol, you wanna host it somewhere and explain ? a little more ill try to help

however reading again, maybe you can merge the cells? i would simply make a new table layout how i wanted it, then copy the text into teh new cells as i wanted it, usually easier if a table is to messed up. I would always suggest to use css or tables for text layout though and not <br> or <p> or anything other than

regards

[Edited by jason4656 - 1/29/2004 3:43:50 PM]
Old 29 January 2004, 06:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Jase!

Your "way too difficult for me" comment made me tell my (non-techie) colleague that it was impossible. He looked at me and said, in blissful ignorance, "Why can't you use Word's "Convert Table to Text" function?"

D'OH!!!

Flippin brilliant! Open in Word, do once then F4 for each table, back to DW and clean up! Job done!

Off home now!