Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Networking

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2004, 10:16 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I regularly use my laptop between two wireless networks. Both are set to 128 bit WEP and have different network keys.

To join a network, I have to mess about with the laptop WEP settings and enter the key for that network, then change it again for the other network, and I have to do this every time I want to switch between them.

I am sure there must be an easier way, but am damned if I can work out how to store the credentials for each network.

If this is possible, could someone provide an idiots guide please.

Ta
Old 18 January 2004, 10:39 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 18 January 2004, 10:52 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

what wireless NIC you using? and what OS?

i know at work, they are using the cisco wireless card with it's software. profiles can be setup so that they can connect to the office wireless and also the home wireless router.

i think this can be done in XP as well but not 100% sure.
Old 19 January 2004, 08:50 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Using Windows XP Pro, Netgear MA-401 (I think)

If I am reading the clues correctly (doubtful (!)) and let Windows manage the wireless configuration, it seems there is the option to enter details of more than one profile. Have tried to enter the WEP details and whilst setting one allows access to that LAN, setting the other seems to be over-writing the first.
Old 19 January 2004, 05:05 PM
lightning
Scooby Regular

I thought that Windows XP retained the settings for each of the wireless networks you use. It will then autodetect the network each time you are in range. That's what happens for me anyway. I still have the settings for for a mates wireless network from Australia when I was there in November although I have never used a network authentication key. Instead the networks I use have got my unique code that I have for my wireless network adaptor. I can remember the name for the code but it is basically the number below the bar code on the card.
Old 19 January 2004, 05:15 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

lightning,

Think your talking about the device mac address..

XP can't really manage two different wep profiles properly, you will still have to tell it to connect manually.

Why not disable wep & use mac filtering if supported instead? or perhaps changing the keys & SSID/BSID to be the same, the wireless card will "roam" automatically.

I have a program bundled with an cr@p smc pcmia wi-fi card called boingo, It might be worth trying this, it's designed for managing public wLans & hotspots.

Do a google search for it or email me & will send it you

Hope that helps
Old 19 January 2004, 05:23 PM
lightning
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Yes it is the MAC address. I completely forgot what it was called but read alot about the subject when I first went wireless. You are right windows will autodetect wireless networks but it will not autoconnect. You have to select the network in order to connect but the PC will tell you which ones are in range.

Did not know about all of the problems with WEP authentication and multiple profiles. Sounds like I have a lot to learn.

I have an SMC PCMCIA adaptor as well. I still have the installation disc so will see whether the Boingo software is included.