Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TFT Monitor, questions

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 07:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have just bought an NEC LCD1701 flat panel and by and large I am happy with it, however I am struggling to set the brightness/contrast to values that suit the windows desktop and the images from my digital camera, pictures that looked fine before look crap when I have the brightness set at an accdetable level for say Scoobynet but are ok if I turn the brightness up, if the brightness goes up it makes windoes like looking into the sun !

I have changed my desktop settings to more subdued coulrs which has helped but I am wondering if this is typical.

Everything is super sharp but the brightness thing is weird, have adjusted the monitor setting via the On Screen Display and also my Geoforce 3 ti settings color thing..
Old 12 January 2004, 11:26 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a hyundia Q17 tft
when i first got it i felt eye burn it was so bright !!

found same as u - turning loads down to make it acceptable.

however, ive now made it so that the windows colours are same as before, same with the monitor colours.
only thing i did was to set the contrast on the monitor down to 70% (it was shipped at 90%).
This makes the spare black bits above and below DVDs the same blackness as the dvd image.

i left it at that for a while, and now am used to it.
when my eyes are tired, i find the screen v bright.
but if i let my eyes relax, then everything is clear, and my eyes are so much better than with a crt - just had to look at it differently.
Old 13 January 2004, 03:59 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to load some kind of gamma correction software. Most monitors come supplied with Colorific or Coloreal. If you don't have one of these packages, you can also use the Adobe Gamma control panel applet supplied with Photoshop. After loading the software, you will then need to run a visual calibration process on the screen.

As a general note, LCD monitors are still considered to be inferior to CRTs (unless you spend some serios wedge) for Photo editing. I run a two screen set-up, using the LCD as my main screen, and the CRT for photo editing. Works very well for Photoshop, as you can keep all the toolbars, menus etc. on the LCD, and have the full CRT screen for editing.

Ming.