Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2004, 06:17 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the best wheel for a XBox ???
Old 09 January 2004, 07:44 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Nobody using a wheel on their XBox ?
Old 09 January 2004, 08:51 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no first hand experience, but the Nurburgring forum I use is having the same conversation, and the mad catz one seems to be rated fairly highly.

[Edited by davyboy - 1/9/2004 8:52:08 AM]
Old 09 January 2004, 03:53 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

HI mate, have asked this very same question within the main project gotham racing 2 thread on this computer related forum, but never did receive a reply ??!! which is strange, as I would imagine most folks using the x-box with what is the best driving game available would be using a wheel as opposed to just a hand controler

so took the plunge and bought the thrustmaster 360 modena special edition " one from toys r us, a few weeks back, this particular wheel has all controls on s/wheel, ie. no seperate pedal box needed, side paddles do this for you !! cant remember exactly how much I payed for it ?? possibly around £30 ?? certainly no more. and it even has a small force feedback motor built in at this low cost !!

did have a thrustmaster ferrari force feedback s/wheel for the pc which cost me the best part off £100, but due to the pc requirments needed for most off the better games these days !! it was only used around 6 times here with my toca 2 driving game, great wheel, probably one off the best you can buy for a pc game set up ??!! pure quality with great strong force feedback motor !!have been advised that there is a cable ( usb ) adapter to allow pc games contollers, etc to be played with the x-box ( do a search on here for my actual question / replies regarding this very question ) but in the end I just went for the x-box s/wheel to save any hassle in waitting for this additional cable required

let me know if you would be interested in this pc s/ wheel anyway ??!! if not, no probs mate !! my advice would be to have a look at toys r us and check out there x-box ones there, not the rolls royce in quality ?? but certainly do the job !!

hope this is off some help to you ??!!

cheers,
john..
Old 09 January 2004, 04:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Hi Jeff,

Thinking the very same thing myself after I bought XBox-live from my Brother @ Xmas. Hate using the controller for PGR2, so would like a wheel instead.

There's loads of folk on here playing that, so hopefully someone is using a force feedback wheel.

Stefan
Old 09 January 2004, 04:05 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've got the lotus one, its fine but no FF.
Old 09 January 2004, 04:06 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I've only have experience of the Adrenaline wheel on the X-Box. It's . . . well . . its okay. Has built in vibration function, but nothing that can match a PC wheel with force feedback. Found it much easier using a pad in the end as the wheel just didn't feel responsive or accurate enough.
Old 09 January 2004, 04:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

My local Toys R Us has a big sale on xbox steering wheels at the mo - most are half price
Old 09 January 2004, 08:09 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Question

I know when I was looking over a year ago (about Oct '02) there weren't any FF wheels for the Xbox. Are there any now?
Old 09 January 2004, 08:23 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

This actually for a guy I know ()

He's buying a seat/mounting for a steering wheel/pedals thing to use with his XBox in his study. We've looked around and most the wheels look cheap compared to the Logitech Momo I have (for instances) .....looked at the Thrustmaster 360 and decided it looked the best of the bunch but if it doesn't come with pedals then it's a no go...
Old 09 January 2004, 08:49 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Lotus wheel is crap, do you want to buy mine?
Old 10 January 2004, 06:22 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I have also asked this question....

I heard the momo one is amazing, but surprise, surprise, it doens't come on xbox, considering the 360 one myself, but I kinda wanted pedals! The main problem I have with the game is that I find it really difficult to control the acceleration, tends to be on / off, which you cna get away with in most categories, but not in ultimate especailly on the ring, soon start cutting grass or worse

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=20386 found this one on ebay, anyone heard of it?

[Edited by mynickers - 1/10/2004 6:49:19 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 12:22 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I hear rumours that logitec are working on an Xbox steering wheel. Thing is xbox, and ps2, are out the window now - old technology, the new systems will be out soon, so I am not sure that there will ever be a decent one made. Probably have to wait for the new generation. Unless they make everything backwards compatible!

Anyway, there is a good review of the ferarri thustmaster wheel on here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...010734-2587827

But the 360 Modena FORCE FEEDBACK steering wheel & pedals for XBox looks like the better option:

Available from:

http://ashdesign.com/pod2_price.php3

£ 51.05

No one else seems to stock it, been looking around loads.

I just called Toys 'R' Us in woking, they say they dont' stock the Ferrari one, but have one called SAITEK ADRENALIN STEERING WHEEL, which is apparently xbox endorsed, was £79, is now £20. Has force feedback, and F1 padels for accl/break like the trustmaster (used to hve pedals as in picture, but not now). Might check it out, can always take it back if it's sh*te, and for £20, well that's a few hours in the pub isn't it

• Vibration feedback

• Sequential gear shift levers

• Analogue brake and accelerator pedals

• 6 fire buttons

• 8 way D pad for menu control

• Includes desk clamp and lap rest

• Certified by Microsoft Certified by Microsoft this fully featured steering wheel has 2 paddles to control acceleration, braking or gears, 6 fire buttons and an 8 way D Pad for menu control, 2 progressive foot pedals and will either clamp firmly on a desk or sit comfortably on your lap. Also features a 10 ft cable with inline disconnect and vibration feedback

Review on amazon:

Reviewer: zog_zog from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom
Reasonable simple wheel for the Xbox. Works well without the pedals (using two F1 gear style padles) and hence, can be picked up and played instantly.
Will work on your lap, but it better on a fixed object - table etc.
Cons: Is a littel two insensitive on the wheel and especially the accelerator, making it a more on-off switch, which is not what you need on racing sims.
Overall buy if you want a easy simple wheel (but then there does not seem to be that many good wheels for the Xbox, at this time).
Nigel.

[Edited by mynickers - 1/15/2004 1:00:56 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 02:32 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

there a Ferrari Enzo FF Steering wheel for the PC.
I have it - first one the resistance to the left broke.
Got this replacement one 2 days ago and it is slightly off centre.
Both bought from PC world.

My m8 for one too - but his is perfect.

Ill be taking this one back - i think they got a dodgy batch.

However, it is a superb wheel!
and there is a specific PS/2 version.

So - my thinking is that it should work with xbox as its just a usb connector.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:51 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

The Adrenaline wheel doesn't have FF. That bloke in Toys R Us was talking out of his a..... Thats the wheel I mentioned.

Old 16 January 2004, 05:51 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Dunk - Sorry mate, should of re-read the post!

Didn't make it down to Woking, dont' think i'll bother with the Adrenelin if it hasn't got FFB, bit of a waste of time.

The Ferrari one does look good, if a little pricey. Might take a trip up to PC world 2moro and see if they have 360 for PC. I know what's gonna happen though, I'll buy this and a few months later someone will bring out a wicked one like the PC ones!