Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Performance benchmarks

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 09:46 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

We have just purchased a dual xeon dell poweredge server to do large volumes of number crunching. Now running the bespoke software I wrote talking to a large SQL database it runs like a dog but only shows my app as taking 25% processor load and sql server somewhere between 3-5%, something is wrong here, maybe my code or a problem in one of the stored procs which I can investigate but I need some basic performance testing software which will measure the speed of the Disks (scsi) the I/O subsystem, RAM and processors, done a STFW but havent found anything as yet, anyone recommend anything?

Cheers

Gary
Old 07 January 2004, 10:21 AM
ChrisB

If it's a Windows platform, PerfMon is a free and good place to start using various counters.
Old 07 January 2004, 10:26 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris,

Ah yes good call, I was thinking of something that would stress it, loads of continous I/O that sort of thing just to check everything out.

Cheers

Gary
Old 07 January 2004, 10:28 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary,

Lots of useful tools here SysInternals.

But just had another thought.

Dual Xeons ? When you bring up Task Manager and look at the Performance tab, does it show two or four distinct processors ?

If four you have HT switched on. In that case a process that is maxed out will use 25% of the total processing ability of the machine (unless of course it has been written to use multi processors). 25% is of course 100% usage of one logical processor.

As for SQL being really low, well, I'm guessing that is just a problem with processing. Could be a slow disk, could be a problem with a stored proc etc. Don't really know enough about SQL to help on that.

Cheers

Ian
Old 07 January 2004, 11:38 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ian,

Your a star! That was going to be my next question! I did find a performance bottleneck which has improved things, I think there was basically more traffic between my app. and SQL Server rather than SQL Server doing crunching, its now upto 19/20%. I was wondering why windows thought there were 4 processors instead of 2.

I'm still a little concerned though that the number crunching this box is doing is only marginally quicker than my development box which is a trusty old 1Ghz Athlon 512MB RAM and a 40GB IDE drive, more investigation needed me thinks.

Cheers

Gary
Old 07 January 2004, 11:56 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Number crunching is my thing as you probably know. If I can be any help just let me know.

One thing I do know. Number crunching in Delphi isn't fast, nor is C++ regardless of compiler optimisations. For proper fast stuff use FORTRAN.

Cheers

Ian