Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MS Outlook

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2004, 07:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If I am using Outlook (or Outlook Express), how do I set it up so that mail for different members of the family is directed to the correct identity?

I have all the addressess for example, that end in @something.co.uk, so I want to be able to set up accounts for me@something.co.uk, wife@something.co.uk, son etc. so when I launch Outlook, the default account is me@something.co.uk, but it picks ALL mail suffixed @something.co.uk

Help!?

Geezer
Old 02 January 2004, 07:33 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Ok what version of windows you using??, your best with outlook rather than express for profiles etc

If 2k/xp it's easy as the outlook data file is stored in each users profile...

More info please!

Old 02 January 2004, 07:36 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Will also have to setup individual email accounts, what type of email server you using??

I would guess imap/pop??

Old 02 January 2004, 09:25 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

It's Win XP Sp1, Outlook is 10.267 (what it says in help) Outlook Express is version 6, and yes, it's POP3 mail

Geezer
Old 02 January 2004, 09:31 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm guessing from what you are saying that you have a single mail box that all email whatever@something.com goes to.

Assuming this is the case you are not going to be able to do anything with Outlook (packaged with MS Office) as it will always get all mail from said mail box.

However, Outlook Express (free with Windows) has "Message Rules" that can be used to filter the email that it downloads.

To configure this;

Setup Identities for each person that is to get email. This enable OE to be configured for individual users, each can have a separate mail account, email address, signature line, mail folders etc.

This can be found in File | Identities | Add New Identity

For each identity you will need to setup email account details again. You can then also configure the "from" email address to whatever you like.

Message Rules;

Outlook Express can use message rules to filter the email that it downloads off of the email server. First it will download the headers for all available mail, then it will hand pick which emails it wants to download, leaving the rest on the server.

This can be found in Tools | Message Rules | Mail.

Create a New Rule
In the first box select "Where the To Line contains people"
In the second box select "Do not download from server"
In third box a hyper link will appear marked "Contains People" click on this and a new dialogue will appear.
Add your name(s) in here and any other aliases that are likely to be emailed to you, see note below
After you have added at least 1 name, click Options, another dialogue will appear, select the radio button marked "Message does not contain the people below"

What this effectively does, is it will not download any emails that do not have the specified name in the To line of the email.

Note, When selecting names to be filtered beware, the name that appears in the To line is not always the email address, it is whatever the sender typed in, so if you are in their address book then it is likely your name will be in there rather than your email address. Only part of the specified name needs to be in there, for example, if your name is Colin Dogz Bollox then have Colin, Dogz or even Bollox in the name filter will pass the filter.

Hope this all makes sense

Old 02 January 2004, 09:35 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Oh, and BTW all the above assumes that you have only one email box, it is worth checking with your ISP to see if you can have multiple email boxes. This way they are actually split up on arrival at their (the IPS's) end. This way each mail box will get it's own mail, and all unknown mail will go to the post master's account. You'd be able to use both Outlook and Outlook express then for receiveing/sending from multiple boxes, as each would have it's own seperate account.
Old 03 January 2004, 12:10 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

That seems to have worked fine, thanks very much

Geezer